Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It's raining cats and dogs - AGP question. HELP!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

It's raining cats and dogs - AGP question. HELP!!!

It's raining so much here that my pool water is already above my skimmer. Do I drain some water off or wait til it's all over. It's supposed to rain here all day like crazy. Will it hurt my pool if I let the water overflow over the top? HELP!!!
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

2. Back To Top    #2

I can tell you what I do, Any time mine gets that high I put on the rain coat and go out and drain it down
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    We have had a lot of rain, too.

I just let it run over. It doesn't bother me where the excess water goes. But if I want to channel the extra water to a specific side of our pool, I backwash & point the hose to where I want the water to run off to.

Afterwards it's back to checking all the chemicals in my pool. Right now, I'm still experimenting with the CYA level. I'll have to add some more, since I lost some due to rain & overflow.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Poolidiot
    I can tell you what I do, Any time mine gets that high I put on the rain coat and go out and drain it down
    I actually did do that, but I'm just wondering if it's absolutely necessary. If I was at work today the pool would definitely overflow. Has that ever happened to you?
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

5. Back To Top    #5

One thing with letting it overflow is you run the risk of the water getting behind your liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by heikejohn
    We have had a lot of rain, too.

I just let it run over. It doesn't bother me where the excess water goes. But if I want to channel the extra water to a specific side of our pool, I backwash & point the hose to where I want the water to run off to.

Afterwards it's back to checking all the chemicals in my pool. Right now, I'm still experimenting with the CYA level. I'll have to add some more, since I lost some due to rain & overflow.
    I really don't have an issue with where the water goes. It's pretty well managed in my backyard. I just don't want the sides to fall over or something.

I just got my CYA right and everything. I have to say that the pool calculator is a wonderful thing. I have no issues with getting the water chemistry back to where it was. It makes everything SO easy to figure out. Thanks, Jason!
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Poolidiot
    One thing with letting it overflow is you run the risk of the water getting behind your liner
    I have an overlap, so I don't believe that would be an issue. What is bad about letting water get behind the liner?
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine's overflowed a couple times...... It's not going to hurt anything unless the water has something to ruin on the way out, like furniture or something. otherwise, just let it flow over and then check the numbers when your done. now that my cabana is built I can no longer really let it flow over, so if it's possible for me to get to it, I'll start draining it with the small hose bib I have on the return side.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I just let mine do it's thing, it does not matter at all. Once it is done raining, if the water is too high, who cares? Check your chems, add chlorine if needed, maybe a bit more than normal to account for the rain. The extra water will either evaporate, or you can vacuum and use it to backwash, or it will get splashed out. No big deal.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

10. Back To Top    #10
    Mine is over flowing too but I don't mess too much with it.

My 11yo dd was the first one in it yesterday and she says it's still too cold but I bet the dog would go in and cannon ball all the extra water out!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

This is where people think different i guess, The way I see it is, If you have an overlap or not, water can still get behind your liner, water between liner and wall equals high possibility of rust. If you let water just overflow, then where it pools up on the ground over time can become a sink hole. That is why I say if at all possible, drain it down instead of letting it overflow.This is all just my opinion so you can take a look at my name and do the opposite if you wish.

12. Back To Top    #12
    What happens when the waters splashes out? Last year we got 15" of rain in a couple weeks during May. If you are sure to have your runoff banking and drainage area managed well so there is no pooling, you will not risk water behind the liner. A properly installed liner, coping, wall, rail and banking, etc., will prevent excess water from going there. Make sure you have enough slope and drainage planned so the water runs away from the pool at all times. We make adjustments many times each season where there may be changes in the ground or terrain which could cause it to pool or run towards the bottom rail.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    May. If you are sure to have your runoff banking and drainage area managed well so there is no pooling, you will not risk water behind the liner. A properly installed liner, coping, wall, rail and banking, etc., will prevent excess water from going there.
    I really do not mean to sound like I am arguing but can anyone say for sure that it is put in exactly correct? There is always the possibility that it is not, and you can also have a small hole in your liner where it is overlaped that could let in over spill get in between. So all I am sayinf is it is better to be safe then sorry.

14. Back To Top    #14
    Well better safe than sorry is ok. I just guess I wouldn't stress about it - they are water vessels and constructed in a way that splash out and overflow should not cause undue problems. There is always a chance something could go wrong with anything though. If it makes you feel more secure to drain, then you should because its all about enjoying, not stressing.

Mine is a J hook liner. I let it run out and over if it gets that full - fun in the pool will soon splash most of it out.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

15. Back To Top    #15
    Posts have been removed from this thread which were argumentative and did not further the discussion. Please stay on topic and refrain from personalizing differences of opinion.
    Thanks.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.