Do these extra pool costs seem reasonable?

Jul 22, 2012
Does this seem a bit much? Our pool builder quoted us on a chlorine pool when we said we wanted a salt water pool. He said it would cost an extra $1842.00 for salt water. Just curious if this is a lot. I know they want us to get chlorine so we can buy their chemicals every season so I wasn't sure if this price was a lot to deter us from going to salt water.
Also, we wanted to add another LED light and he's charging us $942.00 for another one.
We live in suburbs of Philadelphia.
600sq ft pool with a 9' swim out
50 sq ft spa

Thanks!

Both of those prices are higher than I would expect, though the SWG is much higher, and the light is only slightly higher. The SWG should cost $900 to $1500 installed while a good LED light is more commonly $700 to $900 installed. Of course prices vary with region of the country and can be higher if you get a SWG or light with extra features beyond the usual.

ferkity said:
Does this seem a bit much? Our pool builder quoted us on a chlorine pool when we said we wanted a salt water pool. He said it would cost an extra $1842.00 for salt water. Just curious if this is a lot. I know they want us to get chlorine so we can buy their chemicals every season so I wasn't sure if this price was a lot to deter us from going to salt water.
Also, we wanted to add another LED light and he's charging us $942.00 for another one.
We live in suburbs of Philadelphia.
600sq ft pool with a 9' swim out
50 sq ft spa

Thanks!
Was there a PDA (remote control) included with the salt water pool that would have added to the cost?

I would say it depends on the model of SWCG. A Pool Pilot is about $1200-1400 internet price. An Intellichlor is around $1000 internet. Installation and salt is extra. And, yep, those LEDs are pricey. Again about $500-600 for an Intellibrite on the internet. So the quoted prices while not cheap are not outrageous.

It is a shame that the builder is trying to make a dollar for installing the equipment. I charge 1800 for a complete install of the pentair system, this includes salt, and natural chemistry startup bags. The extra led is right in the ballpark. Yes you can buy it off the internet cheaper, but wo is going to take care of it when you have an issue. Your builder is right there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.