what type of sand filter do I need for my AG temporary pool

rozy

Aug 26, 2012
I just bought a 18x9 ultra steel temporary Intex pool. I have been told that the pump is not strong enough and that I should upgrade. I am looking at Hayward sand filter pumps and am not sure if they are compatable with an Intex pool and what type/size I should get! My pool holds 4500 gallons. My mind is going crazy after reading all of the information I have been looking at!!!!!
Any ideas? :party:

Re: what type of sand filter do I need for my AG temporary p

Intex makes 2 sand filters, a 1600 gph and 2650 gph, that both get very good reviews. You can typically find the 1600 for under $200 delivered and the 2650 for right around $200.

Be careful Intex also makes the filters with an integrated SWCG, but most agree that even if you want a SWCG you are better off getting it as a seperate piece of equipment which Intex also offers.

The reviews for SWCG are not too positive so I don't think I want to go with a salt water system. What I have read about sand is that you back flush the sand once a week. Which sand filter would I need for a pool that has 4500 gallons? I have read that more power isn't always needed and may be more costly to run.

Either of the intex sand filters will work for your pool. If you can get the 2650 for a good price, it does better at vacuuming, though my experience with the 1600 is it vacuums ok.

rozy said:
I have read that more power isn't always needed and may be more costly to run.
Good observation, though you would probably run the 2650 for less time then the 1600, so the total power needed my not be that different.

rozy said:
The reviews for SWCG are not too positive so I don't think I want to go with a salt water system.
I am not sure what reviews you are referring too...but I love my intex swg. Of course, swgs are not necessary. If you do decide to go that way, definitely do not get the swg that is integrated with the pump/filter.

Thanks so much for your ideas. We are new with having a pool, bought our temporary pool at the end of the season this year and will be putting it up for the first time next spring! We know nothing about pools and I have been reading lots of information on the care of a pool. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

How long should I be running the pump each day? What determines the amount of time it should run?
I only looked at the Intex SWCG so I do not know what kind that is not integrated with the pump.

Looks like we (me) never replied to your questions...

rozy said:
How long should I be running the pump each day? What determines the amount of time it should run?
Long enough to distribute your chlorine when you add it (manually or swg) plus whatever time is needed to maintain clear water...it varies with each pool. Some folks say there is a rule of the thumb that you want to pump at least 1 pool volume through the system daily, but usually most owners can get by with less pump/filter time and still have crystal clear water.

rozy said:
I only looked at the Intex SWCG so I do not know what kind that is not integrated with the pump.
Intex also makes a stand alone swg, as do other manufacturers.

The 1600 is keeping my 18 x 48" ultra frame nice and clear. Ithas gone down in price here at the end of the season, though Walmart was out of stock earlier in the month. Others seem to have leered their price on them too.

Thanks, I am still doing my homework and will be deciding soon since I am going to look for end of season sales like I did when I got the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.