Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When we took over this pool in our new house, the previous owner had a pool service. They had a PoolRx metal thing in the pump's filter area. Based on what I read here, not a good thing to use so I removed it. We have come to notice that there are some small (1/4" - 1/2") stains on the pool floor & walls. (they were likely there before I removed that PoolRx thing; but we just started noticing the stains.) I tried rubbing them off, thinking they were just dirt, but they are definitely brown stains of some sort.

What caused that? Can they be somewhat easily removed? Is there some 'adjustment' to my checmicals that is needed?

Re: Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

try using some vitamin c on the stains, if they fade that would confirm it is a metal stain.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
try using some vitamin c on the stains, if they fade that would confirm it is a metal stain.

How do I apply the Vitamin C ? what is the process & how much do I use? And if it IS a Copper stain, is there any other way to remove it?

Re: Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

One method is to get some of the vitamin c tablets and break them up and put them in a sock which you just set on the stain for a little while. This may work if they are small spots.

If you confirm they are metal stains, there are while pool treatments. See the article in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.