Quickest/Easiest way to get A LOT of leaves out?

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
So I'm finally getting around to working on the pool in this house we bought last month. Pulled off the security cover and this is what we're starting with. The pool hasn't been used in about 4 years it sounds like. There are A LOT of leaves in there. Probably a good 6" deep of leaves in the shallow end, and in the deep end, I can't even see down to tell. Most likely the trees above the pool went through several falls before the previous owner decided to put the security cover on, as it looks pretty new.

So, anyway, what's the quickest/easiest way to get all these leaves out? Just get to scooping with the net? Vacuum to waste? any help is appreciated.

poolcleanup1.jpg

Poolcleanup2.jpg

superman0604 said:
I wouldn't vacuum to waste as that many leaves may clog up and damage stuff. Definitely need to start with a net. They make specially designed leaf nets which may speed up the process, but its not going to be a quick or easy process.

Pretty good read here. Should answer lots of the questions you may have. http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

That's what I was afraid I was going to hear. :cry:

...and yeah I read that how-to on here a few times. That thing is like my bible right now. LOL

Vaccuming to waste will quickly clog your pump strainer basket and could cause damage to your plumbing lines, I would leaf net as much as possible first, then use a dirty water pump to drain, followed by plastic shovelling the remaining nasties out before the scrub down.

Regards
Stuart

Stuamurr said:
Vaccuming to waste will quickly clog your pump strainer basket and could cause damage to your plumbing lines, I would leaf net as much as possible first, then use a dirty water pump to drain, followed by plastic shovelling the remaining nasties out before the scrub down.

Regards
Stuart

So you're recommending completely draining it? I thought everything I've read up to this point has said that's a big no no for inground pools?

With stagnant water for 4 years and that much debris I personally would completely drain clean and scrub before fresh refill, plaster bottom and fibreglass sides should not cause any problems, there is always a risk of collapse and cracking due to heat, which can be controlled by hosing with cold water.

Another option is to use a large sheet to replace nearly all the water, pumping the old out whilst adding new inside the sheeting which will allow a better water change than cleaning and shocking, you would need a sheet that completely filled your pool with overlaps, or two sheets so you can have it separated from the old water whilst changing and cleaning

Faced a similar problem when we bought this house, pool not closed correctly the year before
So only 1 year leaves - but still bad due to the number of trees
I only have a wall skimmer, not a floor drain etc, so shocked the pool (ha), started the pump & started scooping out leaves
One problem with dark green water is you can't see the leaves, thus the reason to shock & start the filter - did not user the vac
It took maybe a few weeks of nites/weekends to get everything out....I stopped at one point I was so depressed

If you have access to a big pump then pumping everything out might be the way to go
Check the bottom & refill....but if the pool is full of water then most likely there aren't any cracks

Ok, 1/2 hp utility pump is in and draining has begun. I've now got most of the leaves out of the shallow end and I'll keep scooping as the water level goes down and I can see more. I'll update with pics as I go along.

Once it's drained, what do I wash all this "green" out with? Just pressure wash it?

I wouldn't pressure wash it, as you may crack the fibreglass and/or damage the plaster, deck scrubber, hand scrubber, plenty of shop bleach, and a fresh water hose should get the job done just fine.

I suppose you could use a pressure washer at distance. If you wan't to pressure wash the concrete around the pool, good idea to do it first before you start cleaning in the pool, that way you can let the waste water and dirt go into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main concerns I have read about draining and inground pool are centered on the water table causing the pool to "float" - do you know for sure what the water table is like where you are?

UnderWaterVanya said:
The main concerns I have read about draining and inground pool are centered on the water table causing the pool to "float" - do you know for sure what the water table is like where you are?

The measurement this morning by the station about 3 miles away from my house was 11.87 ft below ground. Now, my house sits uphill from that station...not sure if that plays a factor or not.

At this point, I'm all-in on the drain and clean approach as the shallow end is all drained and I have about 4 feet of water left in the deep end to go.

thegame9377 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

The measurement this morning by the station about 3 miles away from my house was 11.87 ft below ground. Now, my house sits uphill from that station...not sure if that plays a factor or not.

At this point, I'm all-in on the drain and clean approach as the shallow end is all drained and I have about 4 feet of water left in the deep end to go.

If the water table is nearly 12' and the pool is shallower than that - I think you are alright. If not then you might want to leave some of the water and start scooping out what's left - I'm sure it's still saved you quite a bit of work.

It would be nearly as easy and so much safer to stop draining when you have 2-3' water left in the pool. You can wade in and get it clean in a hurry.

If the pool floats.... you have a world of trouble. You might consider asking local pool builders if this is wise in your area.

jmhjgh said:
Good luck with the clean. What are the dimensions of your pool? Your signature states 38,000 gallons, but that seems quite large.

38k gallons is what the son of the previous owner stated very confidently. This was an estate sale, so the actual previous owner has passed away. The dimensions are 20'x40' and 10ft deep in the deep end.

Well, here it is (mostly) empty and with most of the leaves scoop out and/or pushed into the remaining water. I've stopped pumping water out. It's still got about a foot of water in the deep end, but this should be good enough to do the job.

Now what? Should I try to scrub/brush with bleach at this point, or should I fill it with water and now, get it up to shock level, get the water circulating, and brush while it's full of water?

Poolcleanup4.jpg

Start scrubbing! Bottom looks like its suitable for power washing, but make that decision for yourself. get it cleaned up and shining I would be using the cheapest bleach - lots and scrubbing neat, wash everything down, remove debris, pump out what's left then your starting with a clean pool, which will get you up and running far quicker. Basically the cleaner you can get it and the more dirt you remove now means the less that goes into your actual fill water.

Working quick, looking forward to more progress pics!

EDIT- make sure you scrub ladders, steps, diving board, lights and any other niches when your at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.