Pump without capacitor

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
My pump, after about a week of inactivity, will not longer start. However it will hum when powered on.

After reading many of the posts on these threads I'd like to check the capacitor. The pump (an older Hayward power flo) just has a cap on the back. No top bulge. It seems in the past I tried to find it when it wouldn't start and when I removed the cap could not locate it.

I tried tapping on it (worked once before). This time no luck.

Is there such a thing as pump without capacitor?

Might be a centrifugal switch on back of motor
Look for springs conected to a metal plate
Some times this gets stuck in the out position
Try to flip in toward motor ahaft
Google centrifugal switch should get a picture of it

Re: Pump without capacitor?

The white v-shaped plastic with the springs.

I can push it down (unplugged) and it spings back up.

When I power it on it does not move at all.

It doesn't sound safe but can I push the switch down with a wooden stick to see if it turns the impeller?

Back and running!

I used the wooden end handle of a small rubber mallet (holding it by the rubber head) to push the contact down. The pump rotated sluggishly and I let go/repeated a few times and voila! The middle contact area receded back to its original position once the "centrifugal" part kicked in.

If I can just get by the rest of this summer I'll be good to get a new pump next year (this one is very old).

It seems to run a lot quieter now...maybe keep?

Thanks folks! Saved again by TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.