Green Algae with plenty of chlorine present

tomzo

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Escondido, CA
Greetings,

When my pool warms up in the summer I get small amounts of green algae forming, primarily in areas where the Kreepy Krauly can't reach (corners, steps, etc). I have a saltwater pool and there is plenty of chlorine always available but I find myself brushing back algae more often than I would like (2x per week). The water is crystal clear and there is not a LOT of algae, but I am wondering how it grows in the presence of chlorine.

Note that this has only begun now that my pool temp is consistently above 80 degrees this summer. It had never shown up in colder temps.

Perhaps this is normal and it is easy to brush off the vinyl surface, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Tom

Since you refer to corners and steps where the algae grows, that sounds like poor circulation. That allows the local chlorine level to get depleted. You might consider orienting your returns differently to try and get better circulation.

That does not really make any sense.

If there was no CYA and you maintained 3+ppm of FC, there is NO WAY algae would have grown.

Granted that with a SWG you want the CYA to be a little higher to protect the FC from the sun. But, if the CYA was too low, you would have measured 0 FC because it would have been lost to the sun as fast as the SWG could generate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.