Vacuum head question

Jan 20, 2012
West KY
Searched for this and only found one thread with limited posts so thought I'd ask anyway:

Gunite pool style roller vacuum: OK to use with Vinyl liner IG pool? Google searching has turned up mixed responses. I used one on a concrete pool for years, and it amazes me how darn slow it is to use the crummy lightweight, triangular "vinyl pool" vacuum head. Our PB says it's fine to use the roller style. I'd like to know how many TFP members do this, and please share your opinions and experiences.

I have a vinyl pool and when I was shopping for a vacuum I read multiple online sources that claimed the wheeled head chould more easily get stuck against the liner. I saw a couple sites that also claimed the wheels could damage the liner but this was not as universal - and made no sense to me. I went with the triangular head and a Polaris 380.

Triangular head isn't great but I'm a newbie and have a vacuum suction issue due to faulty ball valves - so I did not know the extent of the problem might made worse by the vacuum head!

I have an ABG pool and a triangular head vaccum. When I was a kid, I used to take care of my neighbors gunnite pool from time to time, and they had a rectangular roller vac. Those are indeed so much easier to use.

I debated buying one, but my thought was that if I had a small wrinkle in the liner, and it got somehow caught in the wheel, it could tear the liner. Not likely, but a possibility. I tie wrap a 2lb foam encased dumbell to the top of the triangle vaccum. It helps to keep it on the bottom, and I find I can go a bit faster with it, without having to try and keep it from floating up.

-dave

phonedave said:
....... I tie wrap a 2lb foam encased dumbell to the top of the triangle vaccum. It helps to keep it on the bottom, and I find I can go a bit faster with it, without having to try and keep it from floating up.

-dave

The foam weight addition: Great idea! I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

If you spend the extra money on a weighted vac head, you will love it. We use the Stanley brand on our maintenance trucks and vacuum all types of pools with them. They are stiff enough where they won't get stuck on the bottom of a vinyl liner.

CPSScott said:
If you spend the extra money on a weighted vac head, you will love it. We use the Stanley brand on our maintenance trucks and vacuum all types of pools with them. They are stiff enough where they won't get stuck on the bottom of a vinyl liner.

Mine was weighted - it has sand or gravel or shot inside of it, you can hear it in there. I just weighted it even more by adding the dumbell :-D

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.