Leaking Hayward Pump - Pump #K48N2N104 (A.O. Smith)

Aug 25, 2012
Howdy folks. First time to post a question on here, so I apologize if I goof. I have a Hayward (A.O. Smith) pump that recently started to be pretty dry in the basket area. I would need to dump some water in the basket to get it primed, then it would work. First, I bought some new wheels for my poolvergneugen poll cleaner because I thought they had ground down enough that it was getting high centered/stuck at the pool drain at the deep end of the pool, and getting into a suction loop for lack of a better word. Fixed that, then noticed the pump was still going down in water and wouldn't prime. I checked my Jandy check valve gates, and one of them was pretty thrashed. Fixed those 2, then when I turned the pump on, the spigot at the top of the t-fitting coming out of the pump cracked and started spewing water all over. Cut the arm going from out of the top of the pump to the Hayward filter canister since the arm was too long and I couldn't spin the pipe off of the pump. After I cut it, I went to Home Depot and got the 2" plumbing parts to repair that. After I fixed that, I turned the pump on and it started right up with no priming needed. But alas, I looked down and noticed small amounts of water coming from under my pump. :grrrr: The drip is slight, but it's enough that I can't ignore it. The leak is at the bottom right where the motor meets the rest of the filter housing, and I figure it's some sort of seal. The pool is approx. 13,500 gals. below ground with a 1,000 gal. spa that flows water into it. I went to Leslie's today to get the check valve parts, and he mentioned a new law in AZ that beginning Jan. 1 of this year, Leslie's will not touch old standard motors, and the says the new multi-speed motors are required. He said the homeowner can replace the pump with something other than that, but Leslie's won't touch it.

So, is it a seal issue, and how would I get seals for a A.O. Smith pump #K48N2N104 pump ? Thanks gang in advance.

Re: Leaking Hayward Pump - Pump #K48N2N105 (A.O. Smith)

Thanks for the help folks. One thing I forgot to ask was when I pull the motor off with the shaft, will the parts inside the area where the water flows and the basket is near come out with it, or would I need to pay attention to how I pull it out so I can put it back together ?

Attached is a picture of the pump. I'm leaning towards changing the seals if I can find the right seal set. What's that lobe shaped plate on the side of the pump ?

Attachments

• SAM_0818.JPG
    SAM_0818.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 55

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just went outside to check my pump at approx. 8:45pm AZ time, and the pump was spinning dry and wouldn't prime. I opened the lid and dumped some water in the basket to prime it and it ran fine from that point. Could the leak in the seals allow for that much air to go in and cause that ? When the pump shut off this morning, I could still hear the gurgling sound inside the filter canister area (there is no leak around the rim of that) like air was getting in somehow, but other than the water leak when the pump is running, I have no other ideas.

For the most part, I can't see any air bubbles in the pump basket. It seems clear. There are bubbles when I'm there to see it start, but after it gets running, it clears up. I went back out and turned the pump on again to see if I could see any bubbles went I start it. There a few, but it's not alot. But one thing I do remember, and should have added, is that when the pump goes off in the morning, I have turned the suction side handle from the pool side to the spa side, and the gurgling I can hear in the pipe going out from the top of the pump and within the filter canister stops. When I keep it like that, I can turn the pump on again in the evening and it doesn't need to be primed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.