pink mineral deposit on pool plaster

Lawlocaust

In The Industry
May 10, 2008
I live in columbia, SC and work for a local pool company. We have recently come in contact with some kind of pink mineral buildup on one of our plaster pools. I took a few samples of this pink substance to be tested, and when i scrape it off it flakes into small pieces. Its on the steps and floor of the pool around both of the main drains.

The substance seems to look like some kind of calcium. One of my friends in the business thinks it could be organic calcium.

The chemicals have been in great shape, calcium between 150-300 ppm, so until the samples come back im left scratching my head.. If anyone has info on this it would be great.

Don't know what 'organic calcium' might be. Scale is calcium carbonate, period. It can trap other things in it that give it a color. Pink is usually indicative of manganese in the water. Might want to test for that.

Thanks alot for replying so fast. Im going to this pool sometime this coming week and will test for the various metals in the water.

If it is indeed a metal in the water im still left guessing why its only in certian areas. Its almost like a river delta-like design that is spread throughout the pool.

Post a full set of test results. It might give some of us some idea of what might be going on. There are some pretty sharp people on this forum with an excellent grasp of pool chemistry (REAL pool chemistry, NOT what's passed off for it in most CPO courses!)

And Welcome to our corner of the net! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.