hello from melbourne (High CYA levels!!!)

juzzie

Aug 25, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hello, just joined, as a result of extremely high CYA levels.

Been scouring the net and am really not happy with what the pool shop has been telling me!

They have been recommending adding trichlor, among other things, even when the CYA level is at 184.

I think they might be just incompetent, rather than just selling chemicals. (I hope anyway!)

I am looking forward to doing the pool school and getting the low down on CYA.

Think I'll be draining some water soon though!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Yeah, the valid CYA tests can't even measure much above 100 accurately so however they are testing is suspect. Nevertheless, they are probably close enough to assure you that you are way too high.

Have you started reading Pool School?

Yep reading Pool School now.

I have a feeling that I'm going to learn a heap from this forum....

It's just coming to the end of winter here in Melbourne, Australia.

I had a lot of trouble with the pool last summer and have looked at the old test reports and they had way too high a CYA even back then!!!

I have only had the responsibility of looking after the pool for one season and don't know much about the system - it belongs to my father in law who is interstate indefinitley.

I want to get on the front foot for this summer (spring here is on the 1st of September).

Have been blindly listening to the local pool shop and after buying a book and then getting suspicious about their information have ended up here.

Can't wait to do the pool school, post up my setup and my latest test results and start being in control!

What proportion of people on here would use the BBB method?

Welcome to TFP!

I'd say that pretty much everybody who has been on here for 6 months or more is on BBB. We look at BBB as more of a mindset than a recipe. It's knowing how to properly test, knowing what to add, and knowing why you add it. That's about it.