So it begins...my unconventional build..i'm callin' it done

bigdav160

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
Klein Tejas
I posted a couple months ago about my disappointment with several pool bids I had received.
They were all flawed in some way or another. I knew exactly what I wanted but either they weren't listening or I wasn't communicating effectively.
In any event, I decided owner-build with myself doing some of the grunt work.
My design would be a modified classic geometric double roman end pool with an elevated spa and a tanning shelf on the opposite side:

[attachment=2:2g6jllhx]NewPool.jpg[/attachment:2g6jllhx]

Three infrastructure problems with my yard are:

NG meter placement and the line running directly across the yard. Some replumbing in the house and garage with a service call to the NG supplier and we finally had that problem resolved.

Old, sagging, decrepit sectional clay pipe sewer lateral had to be replaced and relocated. Not fun but I did that work myself.

My yard has too much dirt!!! So I hand dug all around the pool shape. I also jack hammered out our existing pea gravel patio and lower it 6" inches.

[attachment=1:2g6jllhx]Dirt.jpg[/attachment:2g6jllhx]

Finally yesterday I was able to get the excavation crew out to start the dig: :party:

[attachment=0:2g6jllhx]Dig.jpg[/attachment:2g6jllhx]

Attachments

• NewPool.jpg
    NewPool.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,389
  • Dirt.jpg
    Dirt.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Dig.jpg
    Dig.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,359
Re: So it begins.......

At 1 pm the steel crew shows up and ready for work :goodjob:

[attachment=2:1kdw3twz]Steel.jpg[/attachment:1kdw3twz]

Then at 5 pm the plumber show up for the stub out:

[attachment=1:1kdw3twz]PlumbingStub.jpg[/attachment:1kdw3twz]

Now, not one of the plumbing crew spoke english and my spanish is not good so I had a couple issues. I'm going to resolve those myself this afternoon:

[attachment=0:1kdw3twz]SpaHouse.jpg[/attachment:1kdw3twz]

The gunite crew was busy today and won't make it until the morning. I say we got a lot done in one day. Hopefully we won't get the rain that is predicted. Wish me luck. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Steel.jpg
    Steel.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,353
  • PlumbingStub.jpg
    PlumbingStub.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,345
  • SpaHouse.jpg
    SpaHouse.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,350

That looks super. Nice design. Love the double entrances. The spa and tanning ledge in the middle opposite each other are like two life guard stations with a birds eye view of the deepest part of the pool. Appreciate the pics, keep em coming. :)

Something is going on behind the curtain:

[attachment=1:xh4m9swh]curtain.jpg[/attachment:xh4m9swh]

Looks like a pool is taking shape:

[attachment=0:xh4m9swh]Gunite.jpg[/attachment:xh4m9swh]

:party: :cheers:

Attachments

• curtain.jpg
    curtain.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,253
  • Gunite.jpg
    Gunite.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,251

This weekend I'm working on plumbing.
I had some communication trouble with the original plumbers that did the stub out. One of my expectations was pressure test of the main drain and spa before gunite.
I didn't get that. I don't expect a problem but you never know. For my money, I was also expecting some plumbing runs toward the pad. Well that's water under the bridge.

I'll finish the rest of the plumbing myself. It's not the first time I've glued up pipe.

[attachment=0:22mrfd1a]Trenches.jpg[/attachment:22mrfd1a]

Attachments

• Trenches.jpg
    Trenches.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,107

I haven't updated in a while. Unfortunately, I find my schedule filled with teaching college kids new skills rather than working on the pool.

What I have accomplished is:

95% of the plumbing is done. I just need to finish up a little at the pad.
60% of the electrical is done.I could probably finish it up in a day
85% of the tile work is done

[attachment=2:1d71idmj]me.jpg[/attachment:1d71idmj]

I did have some help from the better half.

[attachment=1:1d71idmj]Helper.jpg[/attachment:1d71idmj]

My other helper has been useless:

[attachment=0:1d71idmj]cat.jpg[/attachment:1d71idmj]

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,011
  • Helper.jpg
    Helper.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,008
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,002

It's raining today so here's an overall pic:

[attachment=0:1ruiphql]Closer.jpg[/attachment:1ruiphql]

I should have mentioned earlier, one of our goals is to make the pool look like it could have been built at the same time as the house. (1970)
The house, which we love, is a 5 bed, 5 bath, three fireplace, 4300 sq/ft Spanish ranch. I couldn't see myself building a tropical pool around this house. I hope you like.

Attachments

• Closer.jpg
    Closer.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,007
Re: So it begins.......my unconventional build

Looks good, I have big comments on your pool equipment selection. Hope you havent purchased it yet.
First the jandy water color led's cant be controlled by the easytouch directly, get the Intellibrite lights then you can directly control which color you want. Not to mention they are better.
Second why are you getting a Hayward filter, buy a pentair so you get 3year warranty on all of your Pentair equipment. Otherwise it is all 1 year. You get this when you buy a pump, filter and one other pentair product, which you certainly have.
Is there something else you are planning on running off of your easytouch. An easytouch 4 would more then cover what you are doing, but don't get me wrong, they appreciate your money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I appreciate comments and criticism.

At the time, I didn't know about the warranty extension. I did accumulate all the equipment at substantial discounts.The exception is the heater.

The LED's are low voltage and will be connected to a transformer.. Are you saying the Easytouch won't be able to control them? It is a question I've thought about.

Certainly no criticism, just trying to educate.
Your job looks awesome, love the style and the tile.

Be cautious with a patterned tile like that, use a water level or laser, once filled, the water doesn't lie, it will be quite obvious if there is a high side or corner.

Still may be worth buying a filter to extend warranty, find a new buyer for yours. If something big goes in the second two years you will not be happy.
As for the lights they will work, you will just have to shut it off and on, and off and on till you get the color you want. Kind of a pain with the remote as it doesn't respond that fast.

Just some of the knowledge you are paying for hiring a good PB, I know, you tried.

Be cautious with a patterned tile like that, use a water level or laser, once filled, the water doesn't lie, it will be quite obvious if there is a high side or corner.

Don't I know. I used a zip level to set my ledger boards yet I still appear to be off 1/4 inch from one end to the other. The water level will be the real test.

Just wanting to give an update. Coping is done with exception of the pieces over the skimmers. I'm trying to decide if I need reinforcement as the joint between two pieces fall over the skimmer.

The tile work is getting closer. My wife decided we had to have some of those glow-in-the-dark tiles. This is on top of the four other types of tiles going in.

Hopefully next weekend I can dedicate to yard and decking/pavers

[attachment=0:idom82sy]nearly done.jpg[/attachment:idom82sy]

Attachments

• nearly done.jpg
    nearly done.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,843

Pictures of the glow in the dark tile?

:-D You're wish is my command.....

I'm sure most of what you see on the net is enhanced photography. The effect is somewhat subdued but very noticeable.
My decision was to place a row under the waterline tile to light the perimeter of the pool and my safety conscience wife wanted a row on each step.

I took this (with a tripod) at dusk

[attachment=1:3vc1j58t]glowing.jpg[/attachment:3vc1j58t]

Edit for second pic. It's much darker now,set the camera for aperture priority.

[attachment=0:3vc1j58t]glowing2.jpg[/attachment:3vc1j58t]

Attachments

• glowing.jpg
    glowing.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,747
  • glowing2.jpg
    glowing2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,729

:goodjob: You are doing a fantastic job!!! The tiles add a nice touch!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.