Brushing - What does it do and how hard should you brush?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
It says in pool school to brush weekly. What exactly does brushing do, and why is it important?

How hard should you brush? I notice that when the brush is going across the bottom it is pressing pretty hard against the bottom surface because of my downward pressure, but when I am brushing against the sides, in order to get a similar pressure against the surface I have to pull back towards me in addition to pressing down. Is this greater pressure important, or does it work to just run the brush gently over the sides of the pool?

Re: Brushing - What does it do and how hard should you brush

Great question! Also do the Wall Whale and King Fin type brushes provide the needed force?

the wall whale is great for adding force to the walls without having to work so hard to pull on the pole.

I think the brushing helps to dislodge any algae that could be trying to grow or disturbing the biofilm if it started. Also helps to stir up any dusty so it can be filtered out.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

TomAtlanta said:
I think I'll try the wall whale...

...I guess I'll order the XL unless someone tells me about something better in the next few days.

I'm on the fence - still looking at the King Fin due to my perception that it works better - pushing on both downstroke and upstroke - and the size of the thing.

Just picked up the cheapest brush they had on the way back to work today, just trying to gimp thru another month since I'll be closing soon. Mine lasted 1.5 seasons and all the bristles are coming out big time.

If you buy I'd really appreciate a review after you use it for a bit, I'd like to upgrade my pole, skimmer and brush to a quality set.

I've never tried the Whale Wall....... But, I ended up with the King Fin and it works great. I like the King Fin mostly because on top of it being a great wall hugger (both back and forth) it also fits in the skimmer opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nG2bfXPxo

Good luck!

That video was great, I think there's some embellishment at parts regarding how difficult the whale can be, but there does appear to be a valid point in that the smaller tail of the King Fin appears to make it easier to use without sacrificing effectiveness.

Thanks for the video, I'll probably pick one up next summer!

I'd never heard of the King Fin before just now, looks like a good idea for walls.

I've used a Wall Whale for a couple years now, and love it for the sides and bottom.

One area where I'd thing the Whale would be better is where you're wanting to sweep stuff in one direction, like sweeping the bottom towards the deep end / drains, or like I use it to sweep the bottom part of the walls and push debris out away from the walls so the robot can get at it easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jamyers said:
I'd never heard of the King Fin before just now, looks like a good idea for walls.

I've used a Wall Whale for a couple years now, and love it for the sides and bottom.

One area where I'd thing the Whale would be better is where you're wanting to sweep stuff in one direction, like sweeping the bottom towards the deep end / drains, or like I use it to sweep the bottom part of the walls and push debris out away from the walls so the robot can get at it easier.

That makes sense...

I can't take credit for finding the King Fin.. my friend Karmann in Midlothian recommended it. So I ended up with one like his.

When I am pushing "fluff" towards the center drains, I just lift up a bit and the King Fin comes up off the floor and comes back no problem. Much like any other brush. It really is a dream on the walls. You will develop a system.

The King Fin is interesting as it claims to work in both directions. Most brushes and brooms work best in one direction. Has anyone had one of these for any length of time and how have they held up? Seems like the bristles would have to be very soft to allow a push and pull stroke. If there are some good long term reviews I might have to get the King Fin for my next brush.

I only brush the steps and sitting area's, every day or other day.
People's swimming feet clean the bottom pretty well. :)

follow poolschool chemistry shouldn't have any problems

My PB gave me a nice brush when he finished our pool. The King Fin bristles are about the same (maybe a little stiffer) than the store one. I can't tell you how long they last tho. Heads up tho - you do not get the pole with it.. just the brush part. Eventually I would like to get a really good pole.

ping said:
The King Fin is interesting as it claims to work in both directions. Most brushes and brooms work best in one direction. Has anyone had one of these for any length of time and how have they held up? Seems like the bristles would have to be very soft to allow a push and pull stroke. If there are some good long term reviews I might have to get the King Fin for my next brush.

Today - without a wall whale or king fin - I brush up and down on walls where I can force the brush in with my arm. I don't notice any problem doing that - but the down stroke will grab more I think based on the angle of the brush bristles.

I had something like it years ago (10+) and it worked similar in both directions...until the bristles fell out over time. I don't remember the product name, but same principle.

Leslies stopped carrying it and I used the std brush until they began carrying the Whale and so that is what I began using. I did like the back and forth motion of the original version I had, but I didn't know where I could get one until I read this thread...

If they made a fin that attached to a std brush that would be perfect. The price I found for the King Fin makes the price about the same as a std brush though.

I have read reports that the Wall Whale can be removed and attached to any brush. So if the bristles go bad, you should be able to move it to a new brush (maybe something stiffer that the nylon).

jblizzle said:
I have read reports that the Wall Whale can be removed and attached to any brush. So if the bristles go bad, you should be able to move it to a new brush (maybe something stiffer that the nylon).
I did that very thing 2 weeks ago, bought a new brush and moved my old WW onto it. The outboard screws didn't *quite* line up, but not enough to make a significant difference once I got them started.

Just looked at mine and confirm it can be removed.... obviously I never took the time to look before... :hammer:

IIRC the King Fin can't be moved to a new brush...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.