Preventing Algae

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,

I have a loop loc pool cover and everytime I open the pool in the spring it's full of algae. I asked someone in a local pool store if there is any way to prevent this. He said I can do one of two things. 1) buy a cover that doesnt let sunlight through or 2) keep your current cover and buy a black cover to put underneath to prevent sunlight from coming in - he said this will greatly reduce the algae but not completely eliminate. I'm not buying a new cover b/c of the expense. Is there any truth to number 2?

Also, I've started noticing some yellow algae form in my pool. It's been humid and we've had a few stroms recently. I shocked the pool but it came back 4-5 days later. Should I use an algaecide?

Thank you so much,
Brian

An opaque cover will block the UV in sunlight from breaking down chlorine so yes, that will help significantly. In addition, you should close as late as possible in the spring so that the water is cold (below 50ºF preferably) and open early in the spring before the water warms up (below 50ºF preferably). You can use chlorine and Polyquat 60 as described in this post where they should last a long time at the colder water temps and with no sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.