Partial Water Change

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
I had high CYA so I just did about 50% water change.

I am going to check everything and see if the CYA is where it needs to be. If not, I'll drop some more water out.

Once I get the CYA where it needs to be, what order should I balance the other chemicals in.

I'm a BBB pool.

jblizzle said:
Post up a full set of results and we can help form a plan.

What does the water look like? Any reason to have to go through the shock process?

Water looks like Gin!

I know I'll most likely have to adjust Alkalinity, Calcium, and pH. Fixing Borates will be last.

Was wondering what order to adjust them in.

Chlorine of my add water is 2 ppm, city water.

FC and pH are the most important.
CH might need adjusted (only can adjust up)
TA usually can be ignored unless it is too low. There is a process in Pool School to lower it if you want.
Certainly want pH and TA correct before you add more borates though.

OK, did a check today.

I thought I changed about 40 -50%. Not sure though, and I chickened out when one end of the pool got low

Here's the numbers

CYA: 100
CL 2
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 240

I'm pulling another big slug back out of it right now. I really want the CYA down, I use Tablets and it'll go up for sure.

I have the Taylor kit and the CYA test seems kinda screwy, is there a better one out there?

The guys at the Pool store use a bigger one, but it must take a bunch more reagent I would think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.