pump's leaking-need help!

nwin

Mar 27, 2012
Houston, TX
Edit: Looks like it's a Pentair Challenger pump...

Alright, here's the lowdown. Pump stopped working a few days ago. It was getting power to it but would only make a humming sound when I turned it on. Did some research, found out it my be the capacitor, so I bought a new one to try it for $25...it worked! Starts up like a charm.

However, during my troubleshooting, I undid the ring clamp and took the housing apart...seen in the following picture on the right with a red arrow pointing to it because I'm sure I'm not calling it the correct name:

PXK06.jpg

Anyways, I pulled those two things apart to check the impeller to make sure it didn't have something lodged in it, determined it didn't, then I bought the capacitor and put it back together and it worked. However, now I have a leak.

Here's some more pictures.

Entire system:

BKl91.jpg

Here's where the leak is at...right at the bottom is where the leak is going, though it could slightly be on the sides and just going by gravity to the bottom...it's too hard to tell.

8vCYe.jpg

It was leaking really bad at first, not even a drip, but a more solid stream, so I undid the clamp again, put some lube on the o-ring, and tried it again. Not as bad this time, but still leaking. After it had run for thirty minutes it was a bit less. This was yesterday. I just checked it now and it's still leaking fairly bad. about 1 drip every 1-2 seconds.

If I had to guess, this pump has never been taken apart (the old capacitor had a date of 2003), so maybe when I took it apart I screwed with the natural seal that had taken place over years?

The gasket looks fine, but maybe it's time for a new one and that's all I need? I'm at a loss here. Please help. If I do need a new gasket, how the heck do I tell what model number I have of this thing and where can I find a new gasket?

Thanks everyone!

Based on this page: http://www.discountpoolzone.com/pumpfil ... enger.html Would I be looking at part 14: The front housing O-ring?

Alright everyone, thanks for the help! I bought the replacement O-ring and also bought a diffuser gasket since it was right there when I popped the seal plate off and figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

Replaced both of those and it's working like a charm now!

To think, I had a guy come out and look at it, he told me the motor was completely shot so it would be around $250 to replace the motor and $80 to install it.

I bought a $10 multimeter, checked the old capacitor and it didn't register on it, so it must have been bad, bought a new one for $25 and it started right up. Add the $25 in gaskets/lube I bought, and the problem is fixed for only $60 instead of the $330 he was quoting me...freakin incredible!

Don't know nuthin about no pumps, and don't want to.... Couldn't imagine taking one apart.... H deals with them all day at work, so any pump issues are his prob.... But I just gotta jump in and say.....

Don't you love this place????? Where else could you get trustworthy advice like that and save boo-koo bucks???!!!

:party: :lovetfp: :whoot: :party: :lovetfp: :whoot: :party: :lovetfp: :whoot: :party: :

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.