Pump and Filter size?

Aug 25, 2011
We are reviewing a bid for a small gunite pool and I wanted to know if the pump and filter quoted would be adequate:
25x13 freeform
French gray plaster
3.5 to 5.5 depths
68 perimeter ft.
12,000 gallons

Quoted equipment in question:
Hayward Max Flow 3/4hp pump
Hayward Star-Clear Plus Filter 175sqft

Our recommendation for a cartridge filter on that size pool is at least 180 sqft ... so that filter is probably fine. With cartridge filters there is really no way to go too big ... just means you will have to clean it less often.

Also a 3/4HP pump should be fine since you appear to have no special water flow needs. You could consider a 2-speed pump to save even more on electricity ... although what type of cleaner are you going to use?

Thanks for the info so far.... I am unsure of what type of cleaner we will use or if one is included. The estimate is a little vague as of now. It was more of just a baseline after our first meeting. The builder did mention a Hayward Navigator as a $700 upgrade, but I don’t know if there is a standard option included, or if there is no cleaner included at all.
I have a meeting with the builder next week and I am starting to get my questions lined out to present to him. The filter and pump just stood out in the initial bid and I wanted to be able to have some talking points for the meeting.
I explained to the builder that this build will go nowhere if I didn’t have a detailed estimate and contract to review so I could make educated decisions. I will have a list to go over next week regarding everything down to pipe sizes after researching this site.

We had purchased a fiberglass pool and decided not to use it. We sold it before install and have now turned to gunite, so I have to revamp my whole plan of attack. I will start a new thread with the pics and limited specs that have been presented thus far for everyone’s review.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.