New'ish' Pool Owner. Just found a dead squirrel. FREAKING!

May 21, 2012
So...I've put my big girl panties on and no longer have pool maintenance weekly. As of two weeks ago. An hour ago I looked outside and saw...well... what I thought was a dead kitten laying at the bottom. It was a squirrel. Missing it's limbs. I think. I'm so gagged out. I think a hawk got it and dropped it in the pool. GROSS!

We have a salt water generator. Hayward...and the 'motherboard thingie' that tells you the PPM in digital. It says 3400. All I could think to do was flip the switch to 'Super Chlorinate'. Is that enough? For how long? Because right now I might be tempted to empty the pool and fill it with pure bleach! EW! Help?!

Thanks pool peeps!

Cheryl-Anne

Re: New'ish' Pool Owner. Just found a dead squirrel. FREAKIN

Just leave the SWG alone and raise the FC up to shock level with liquid chlorine ... I assume you have removed it already correct?

What is your CYA level and pool size (add your pool and equipment info to your signature)? And we can help you figure out how much bleach to add.

jblizzle said:
Just leave the SWG alone and raise the FC up to shock level with liquid chlorine ... I assume you have removed it already correct?

What is your CYA level and pool size (add your pool and equipment info to your signature)? And we can help you figure out how much bleach to add.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yep, fished the poor little dude out. I'll get the info/details on our pool for my signature. Truth is...we only just bought this house, it was a repo and we're replacing so much...I have to get my ducks in a row.

I tested the chlorine and it was between 2 & 3. I put the SWG on 'Super Chlorinate' also.

I think I have a 24,000 gallon free form pool (liner). Just replaced the liner and hoped they'd tell me how many gallons with their measurements. They didn't.

I'll retest the chlorine tomorrow morning. Thanks again for replying!

Poor little squirrel. :shock:

what is your CYA level? That is required to know what your FC shock level is. Although if you are not registering any CC and the FC is holding (hard to tell some you raised the SWG output) you may not need to be at shock level for long ... might do more to make you feel better though.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I seem to have a lot of hawks here and I've so far this sumer fished out chipmunks (about 6 or 8 now), mice, moles, a hawk-dropped possum (and frogs until thy started figuring out how to use the stairs, seriously!) etc. My chlorine demand barely moves after these events, though I add an extra 2 ppm for good measure. I've found no need to shock. I doubt you would either, just so you know your options ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.