new SWG owner here, will i need to suppliment chorine?

Karmann

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2012
DFW Texas (Midlothian)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi,

I'm switching my pool over to salt tomorrow and will start using my SWG moving forward on my new pool.

For the owners out there using a SWCG now, beside shocking the pool is there ever a reason to be adding chlorine supplements like Bleach or Trichlor so that the SWG isn't working so hard all the time?

You want to use bleach to initially get your FC up. And often it is a good idea to bump the FC up a few ppm before and/or after heavy use using bleach as well ... more precautionary than anything else.

thanks for the input everyone

I understand my CYA demand will increase after switching to salt but was really unsure about the rest or if adding additional chlorine in the form of bleach would have any adverse affects on my swcg.

Do i understand this correctly, the swcg will only produce chlorine when it senses the level drop below the programmed setting on my swcg? So for instance while shocking the pool the swcg is not producing any chlorine at all?

You are not understanding it correctly. The % setting you choose is the % of time the cell is actually generating over a given amount of time ... the SWG itself does not sense the FC level (there are added equipment that attempt to measure the ORP with an additional sensor and then adjust the cell output as required, but the there seem to be questions about how well it works in outdoor pools).

So you can adjust the FC level by changing the pump run time (triggering the flow sensor) and the SWG % setting. So there are multiple ways to add the same amount of chlorine to the pool.

Run the pump for 8 hours at a 25% setting, will be generating for 2 hours.
Run the pump for 4 hours at a 50% setting, will also generate for 2 hours.

All the super-chlorinate function does is temporarily put the % setting to 100% so it is always generating, we do not recommend using this as it shortens the life of the cell.

Adding bleach into the pool has no affect on the SWG.

perfect thanks for that info Jason and Christian...

I guess i should start reading the owners manual on my aquapure setup once i find it online somewhere so i can really understand how it works before I'm depending on it.

All the original paperwork was misplaced by the plumber that did the installation when my pool was being built :(

Muriatic acid! And check your cell every few mos check Manufaacturer recommendation. Ppl add swg and assume it's hands off from there. It only makes cl and at a higher ph.this will tend to drift overtime higher. muriatic acid can be used to lower ph, not to mention clean the cell with a very diluted solution generally 10 parts h2o 1part muriatic acid. Calcium buildup on cell shortens life as does frequent cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.