Using test kit to test chlorine in tap water

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
Hubby came into bedroom this morning and asked if there was any reason he should be smelling chlorine in the kitchen. All pool chlorine was outside, and I checked the bleach bottle in the bathroom - no leaks and the lid was tight. He then told me he realized the smell was coming from the tap water, as he was filling the sink at the time. I tested it - 2.5ppm of total chlorine! (didn't test to see if it was all FC, or if some was CC.) They must have just treated it. Oh the joys of living 1/4 mile from the water treatment facility.

In my neck of the woods we are told to expect between 1-3ppm (chlorine) I find this is true. We are a LONG LONG LONG way from the treatment plant.

I think one reason it smells strongly is that it is under huge pressure until it leaves the pipes and some of the FC may outgas when the pressure is released. I know that my hose water can be very cloudy at times - from bubbles! If you leave it for a few minutes all the cloudiness turns to bubbles and you can watch them rise and disappear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.