Piping using Polypropylene (PPR) pipes....

peachy

Feb 19, 2012
hi guys. just wondering if anyone used other pipes like those heat-fused type pipes like polypropylene (PPR). the reason i'm asking is because we're building a pool but the pool room is in the basement of a large hi-end home. the complication lies with the fact that the structure of the house and the pool is independent of each other so some movement is expected. if i use the common pvc pipe i'm afraid that it might not be flexible and durable enough to hold up to movements. because the pipes will run between the walls of the basement and the pool it's critical that we don't develop a leak there..... else that will mean a huge amount of work that will cost quite a bit, something i would rather not happen in the first place. flexible piping came to mind but after some research it's vulnerable to termites which is a huge issue for us here.

any ideas?

There is flexible PVC pipe. I would think that using rigid in the house and to the outside and then from the pool pad to the house and then having a section of the flexible PVC near the house might work. Or is that what you had read is susceptible to termites?

One thing that can be done is to install an expansion joint in the PVC line. This is nothing more than 2-90's and 1-"U" bend. In the main line install a 90 and about 3' of straight pipe, then the "U" and an equal length of straight pipe to come back inline with the main run then the second 90.

The expansion joint will allow movement in both horizontal and vertical planes and is a very common piping arrangement (in steel and PVC) where movement is expected.

thanks stev32k. it's basically like a kink built right in right?

we're exploring the idea of just bringing the pump & filter outside instead. myb at the end of the lap pool and have a cover like a deck for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.