Aeration to Lower CYA

Larry65

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2012
Kentucky
I have used too much di- & tri- chemicals and am afraid my CYA is going to be too high. I read a post on using aeration to lower CYA but have not been able to find it since. I have a 20K gal inground with a fountain running off 1/2" PVC from filter. I have three returns and can rig them to run as fountains if necessary. I have a f-100 test kit ordered and, at this time do not know, the concentration of CYA. Any help is appreciated.

PAgirl is right on about the cya, only way to lower it predictably is to do a drain/refill or pay for a reverse osmosis treatment (which is only available in a few places).

I would wait to do much (other than maintain ph and a chlorine level) until your kit comes and you know your cya level. Then you can respond appropriately.

How does your water look?

PAGirl said:
Aeration lowes the total alkalinity, if you add muratic acid to lower PH. You have to drain water to lower cya.

To be absolutely correct. All aeration does is raise the pH. Adding acid is how you lower pH and TA together.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Wait until you get your test kit, but in the meanwhile consider your options for drain and refill vs RO. RO is not available in many areas. Are you on a well or on water restrictions in your area?

If you live someplace where you winterize the pool, you may find your CYA greatly reduced in the spring. I open to virtually 0ppm CYA every spring.

Raising pH after Lowering Total Alkalinity

After two weeks, I have managed to get my total alkalinity down from over 200 to 100ppm. Now the pH is too low: around 6.8. Do I add baking soda to raise the pH; and, if so, will this also raise the alkalinity?

If you are reading 6.8 it is likely your ph is lower, since most tests that for anything there or lower. You need to get it up ASAP. Add enough Borax until your ph goes up to something measurable (maybe shoot for 7.2). It may take a couple of cycles of dosing up ph with borax circulating for 1 hour retesting and re-dosing. Borax will raise TA a little, so once you get a ph above 7.0, you could use aeration to raise it from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest reviewing the article in Pool School about lowering your TA. You should not be adding so much acid at once, but should be focusing on the pH and making sure it does not get below 7. Then use aerating to raise the pH back up so you can add more acid.

Now you may be so low you are damaging the equipment.

I'm getting confused. When I look at the Pool Calculator, it tells me that changing pH can change TA. If I try to raise pH, am I going to raise TA........I must be looking at something wrong! Seems like I'm adding something, then having to add something else to counteract that.

Low ph (or high ph) is worse than high TA for your pool. In your process of your lowering TA, i.e. adding acid after aeration, it looks like you added too much acid and lowered your ph too far. Basically, you need to get your ph back up in the an acceptable range (7.0-7.8) and work TA back down from there.

What is your TA and ph this morning?

Unfortunately, there is no good way to raise ph without raising TA a little. Borax does the lease to raise TA, but it still raises it.

Thanks for quick reply; pH is showing 6.8 on test kit (that reading might be too high); TA is 100. I'm going to get Borax this morning. It's about a two hour round trip. I need to know what increments (#'s, ounces, etc.) to add the Borax. I appreciate it. I also have added a fountain from one of my three returns in an effort to aerate the water to raise the pH.

Again, thanks

Since we don't know how low you are, I would probably pick up at least four boxes, so you don't have to make another trip.

To avoid the trip, do you have?:
Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including pH Increaser, pH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.
It is not as ideal since it will raise TA more than Borax, but might save you the trip for now.

I've added four pounds of Borax and still am getting a very low pH reading. I assume I continue adding Borax until pH is close to 7.5, then aerate to lower TA. If I add acid to lower the TA, I assume I’m just going to lower the pH as well. Will the acid just neutralize the Borax?

Believe it or not, I’ve had this pool for twenty years and have never had a problem; I’ve used di- and tri- all this time. I winterize the pool every winter and, like John T (8/22/2012, 9:52), I assume my CYA has been low, I now figure, all this time because of the opaque winter cover that stays on from October to June. My water is clear right now (a 9 on a scale of 10) but the test kit readings are bewildering me. I have a TF-100 kit ordered and it should be here tomorrow. Right now, it seems like I’m just dumping chlorine, acid, and borax into a money pit. I appreciate all the advice!!

as I said before, aeration does not lower TA it only raises pH.

Read the lowering TA article in Pool School.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.