Where do I start?

Chellayh

Silver Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Spring, TX
PB just finished our fiberglass pool and told me to start adding salt & stabilizer/balancer. Based on reading several of the forum topics, I went to the pool store near my office & bought a full test kit, 5 bags of salt to start and 8 pounds of dichlor. I used the Taylor test kit on a previous pool, so I knew what tests I wanted & the pool store had the Taylor kits, relabeled with their name. :roll:

So I get home & start testing my water. When I get to testing the CYA, I realize there is no view tube in the kit. Called the pool store near home & they don't have any tubes in stock, so I go to the store to have them test my water. :? First they try to tell me that my salt level is 3100! When I tell him that my pool has no salt in it yet, I hear "Oh yeah, it was frozen on the last test result. Yeah, your salt level is 0." :hammer: So right away I'm suspicious. So I go home & compare the results to the ones I did get on my Taylor kit. Results:

Taylor:
FC 0
TC 1
pH 8.2+
TA 70
CH 70

Pool Store:
FC 2
TC 2
pH 7.4 :shock:
TA 90
CYA 100
CH 200

OK, so now I know not to add dichlor if my CYA is REALLY 100. Text the PB to see if he added anything yet & tell him the CYA result. BIG help - NOT! He says to add 10 bags of salt & stabilizer/balancer. Told him CYA is already high & stabilizer will raise it. He says just to add the salt, that the recent deck pour & the deck sealer they put on today can mess with the chemicals, & the stabilizer can wait a week.

Not satisfied with this, I went to a neighbors & borrowed some strips.

Strip results:
FC 0
pH 8.4+
TA 80
CYA 100

I do notice on the strip bottle it says the CYA is not reliable if pH is out of range. So now I am confused about what to do? Used the pool calculator & it says to add so much stuff that now I am really confused! Help!

Cheryl

Is it just plain salt or the "special" salt I have seen mentioned that has other ingredients (stabilizer/etc) in it?

No problem adding just salt (which you can get at the hardware store in the form of solar salt for about half the price).

What test kit did you get? See the link in my signature for the kits we recommend. You really should get the FAS-DPD chlorine test (which you can buy separately if your current kit has everything else).

Forget the strips, forget the pool store, trust your own testing.

So did the PB say that they added anything or not? The CYA is pretty important to figure out. In the mean time, get your pH in range and add FC using liquid chlorine so the water does not go green.

Just pool salt - plain sodium chloride. I usually get it at Atwood's, but was in a hurry & Leslie's is right by my office.

I pretty much knew which reagents to look for - just forgot to check that it had all the tubes! (We just sold a house that had a pool & I used TFP's awesome advice when we bought that house to learn how to take care of the pool. Just never had to start one up from scratch.) The test kit is Leslie's "Total Pool Care DPD Test Kit". Looking at the Taylor website, it is the K-1005, just missing the (&^)* CYA view tube.

No the PB didn't add anything. I figured my testing was right on everything I could get. I just got the strips to get a second opinion on the CYA until I could test with the Taylor's. Didn't want to goof, put in the dichlor & get the CYA REALLY out of whack.

I will go back to the other store tomorrow & make them take a view tube from one of the other kits so I can get a more reliable CYA result (well relatively reliable, until I get the pH fixed). Then start adding liquid chlorine & MA until I get the pH in line & see where the CYA is at that point. Correct?

Think I could call in to work tomorrow & tell them my pool is sick so I need to stay home?

Chellayh said:
Should I get the FAS-DPD reagents (R-0870 & R-0871) too? I've never used them, mainly cause they aren't available locally & I'm horrible about getting around to ordering stuff online!

Absolutely. You can get the FAS-DPD test at tftestkits.net

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.