intex 12x24 nightmare!

dawn31

Aug 22, 2012
I am new here and my husband and i are new to above ground pools. We got the 12x24 itex pool and so far this pool has caused us nothing but pure torture. I knew the ground needed to be level but i dont think i realized just how unlevel our yard was! We worked for a month trying to level our yard ourselves with shovels. Anyway fast forward to 2 days ago. We thought we were level, and we may still be leve,l the problem is one side of our supports sunk bad and its only on one side in the very corner. I dont know how that happened because we used treated wood and our ground was so friggin hard everywhere (except there obviously) Anyway the water went to that side and at first it was off by about 3 inches, by the next morning it was off by 4. So we drained the pool and now its just sitting in the heat outside. We are getting some dirt from a friend and going to try to build up that corner where the support sunk. Will that work? What would you do? Also is it okay to have the pool sit out in the sun with no water for hours? I acn not tell you how many tears have been spilt over this project. I can not have it sink in that spot again! How do we stop it from sinking in there?

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Sorry to hear about your troubles and not sure I will be much help personally, but have a few questions.

What did you do to level the yard? The proper way is to determine the lowest point and then remove dirt until everything is that low so that you are sitting on "hard" undisturbed dirt. I am wondering if you tried to fill in the low area and that is where the pool is sinking. Generally your need to be very careful to fully compact the ground if you are trying to build up.

Hopefully others can offer thoughts on how to add support.

No we did it just like you described, thankfully we figured that out because my husbands father told us what to do as he had an above ground pool for years. The only thing i can think of is that the ground did seem a little easier to dig through in that area and maybe that's why it is sinking in that area? I am ready to throw in the towel but my husband is adamant we just try again. I just feel like how on earth are we going to stop it from sinking?

Possibly rent a compactor for that area to make sure it can not settle more. Then use something with a large footprint under the legs in that area. Best I can come up with. How larger were the pieces of wood you used under the legs?

It was 1.5 inches thick and so far the pool is good everywhere else, i am afraid that was too thin? Last night we got some very thick concrete pieces and put it under 2 of the supports and it is filling again, so far it is almost half full and looks okay (fingers crossed). If this dosent work i am selling this thing and getting something much smaller!

It is not the thickness of the wood that matters ... what is the footprint (looking down on the ground). That spreads the weight over more of the ground so less likely to sink.

i would have used 2x12x8 treated wood and layed them end to end that way no legs would be on a butt joint and then screwed a treated 2x4 down the outside edge to act as a stop so if the legs shifted outward it could not have came off the 2x12's...........jmo....Mike

fast1971chevelle- I never said anything about it coming off the wood. In the directions it says to use 1 and a quater thick i believe. So thats why we did not use 2 inches.
Anyway i we are almost full now and it looks good thank god!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.