Variable FC levels by different test kits, who to believe?

ctakim

May 27, 2012
Phildelphia, PA
Checked the pool chlorine 3 different ways today. By the TF-100 my readings were as follows:

FC 4.5 (by FAS-DPD)
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 90
CH 230
CYA 35

That all looks good but to make a comparison I also did the Basic OTO TC test using the Taylor K-1000 kit included with the TF-1000 and that gave me a reading of TC at 2.0??? Also checked an AquaChek strip and that gave me a reading of 5.0

So how much chlorine do I have in the pool? 4.5 or 2.0? I presume the FAS-DPD is the gold standard but not sure why the OTO test was so poor? The strips might be better for a daily chorine check and reserve the FAS-DPD for once per week.

Re: Variable FC levels by different test kits, who to believ

I would trust the FAS-DPD above everything.
The next strip you try might be completely different from the stories we have seen ... fine today, but might be wrong tomorrow.
Not sure why the OTO appears to be off.

Re: Variable FC levels by different test kits, who to believ

OTO is never especially precise. OTO is perfect for determining if you have no chlorine, or some chlorine, or lots and lots of chlorine, but essentially useless for determining exactly how much chlorine you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.