Shocking Tiled Pool With Trichlor Ok?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Need to shock a beautiful blue tiled pool with Trichlor and don't want to burn the tiles.

Will this happen or is it ok to use Trichlor? The pool is 37K and I need to add 96 oz of Trichlor.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Why do you need to do it with trichlor?

I think you know that we recommend bleach/liquid chlorine for shocking. Trichlor (at least the pucks) tend to raise the FC level too slow anyways (they take a long time to disolve).

In addition to the cya the trichlor will add, your ph will get low fast. I am assuming that if you keep the ph in the normal range, and follow the normal shocking procedure...even with the twist (again not recommeded) of using trichlor, the tile should be okay.

Aquatica said:
The pool is 37K and I need to add 96 oz of Trichlor.
That will raise the FC to 18 ppm, but the algae/organics will eat that up fast, and you will need to continue to add chlorine for the shocking process. It will also add 11 ppm cya.

linen said:
Why do you need to do it with trichlor?

I think you know that we recommend bleach/liquid chlorine for shocking. Trichlor (at least the pucks) tend to raise the FC level too slow anyways (they take a long time to disolve).

In addition to the cya the trichlor will add, your ph will get low fast. I am assuming that if you keep the ph in the normal range, and follow the normal shocking procedure...even with the twist (again not recommeded) of using trichlor, the tile should be okay.

Aquatica said:
The pool is 37K and I need to add 96 oz of Trichlor.
That will raise the FC to 18 ppm, but the algae/organics will eat that up fast, and you will need to continue to add chlorine for the shocking process. It will also add 11 ppm cya.

Thanks for the reply. I know its better to do it BBB and slowly but this is something that needs clearing and balancing fast as the owners are coming in very soon.

Its 99% stabilized grans.

The CYA is 40ppm and its a SWG. There is green algae on the floor. I want to raise CYA to 60-80ppm. pH is 8.0 and using the Trichlor grans to reduce it to 7.2-7.6...

FC at 18ppm will oxidize all waste and kill all the algae. I want the algae to eat up the FC to lower it down to say 6-7ppm.

I've done this before and it works great. But calculations got to be spot on. I measure my pools before adding chems. and run everything through the Pool Cal.

I was just not sure if granular shock would burn or damage a tiled pool. I've done this in a tiled pool before but the tiles were old. This is beautiful newish pool and part of a 18 million $ home so I definitely don't need to mess up.

Sounds like you might be best to pre-dissolve the trichlor in a bucket of water and then add to the pool so no granules end up sitting on the bottom (although I can not imagine how it would affect the tile ... grout maybe)

Just so you know, the Trichlor will be VERY slow to dissolve. That's why granular Trichlor is used as a spot algae killer where it sits on top of black algae to kill it. You can try dissolving it in a large bucket of water, but it may take several fills and filtered pours into the pool before it all dissolves.

Thanks for the feedback. the trichlor grans take like over night to dissolve. I want them to sit on the algae. brushing also helps. Just need to get CYA and shock the algae clear so that it can be vacuumed and filter can be backwashed. its a very quick way but chems got to be spot on. this pool is not swamp like. it just has some green algae on the bottom which can be easily vacuumed up but I want to oxidize it all, vacuum and clean pool then backwash. if this pool was really green like a swamp I would replace all the water as this would be much quicker than shocking, vacuuming, backwashing...over and over until pool is clear. that would take days where a quick drain and refill and new pool start up would be a less time consuming for me and would cost less chems.

Hi everyone, no damage to tiles. levels adjusted to what I thought they would.

pH came down from 8.0 to 7.4 perfect.
FC came down from a shock level of around 18 to 9. CYA went up a bit.

all algae was killed and then vacuumed out.

Pool looks great. I guess I tend to worry a bit. especially as this was a pool at a $18mil house...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.