LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just a quick question ... CYA is 50, so shock level is 19.8 (30,600). I've kept it at shock level for 6 days now, testing and adding bleach as needed morning and evening this week. The tests were getting to the place where my early morning reading was just 1.0 down from the adjustment the night before, heading for the .5 drop and less than .5 CC target to indicate algae is gone. This morning's test was down 2.5 in FC and needed 2 96 oz. bottles to bring it back to shock level. It didn't rain last night - so .... I'm wondering what could have caused the variance this morning?

Thanks
Chris - Arkansas

Chris,

I'd bet money your water is sparklingly clear and you are finished shocking. Losing 1.0 overnite is no cause for alarm and could be contributed to a variety of things.

That 2.5 loss is a puzzle and we could all guess but it may be just one of those things.

Again, assuming your water looks really good, I think you're ready to let your FC come on down to maintenance levels. (between 4-7ppm) Your water may continue to improve and your daily FC loss may get a little better but I see no reason to continue shocking.

PS - please tell me your water looks good or I'm gonna' have to throw out the whole post above!! :shock: :shock:

duraleigh said:
Chris,

I'd bet money your water is sparklingly clear and you are finished shocking. Losing 1.0 overnite is no cause for alarm and could be contributed to a variety of things.

That 2.5 loss is a puzzle and we could all guess but it may be just one of those things.

Again, assuming your water looks really good, I think you're ready to let your FC come on down to maintenance levels. (between 4-7ppm) Your water may continue to improve and your daily FC loss may get a little better but I see no reason to continue shocking.

PS - please tell me your water looks good or I'm gonna' have to throw out the whole post above!! :shock: :shock:

Well, the pool is clearing up. The water is blue, but still very cloudy as it may take a while for the sand filter to work it all out. In past years I have used a floculant just to speed it up some, but that in itself is something of a pain to clean up after.
I need to order some more 0871 as I have used a bunch (30-37 drops at a time for the .5 test).
Patience is one of those things I'm always short on too. :-D
Thanks for the reply -
Chris - Arkansas

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.