To lower my TA or not? (I have a SWG)

Red

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
Orange County, CA
The (SWG water balance article) recommends keeping TA at 60-80 (and says this is IMPORTANT). The article on (how to lower your TA) suggests that lowering your TA is only important in the following circumstances:

• -because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises
    -if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling

So if my TA is around 90-110*, is it important to lower it? I'm guessing the reason for the recommendation is that high TA can lead to high pH which can get CSI out of whack and lead to scaling, which affects the SWG as well as my pool finish. I have an automatic pH system on my pool which works really well, so I don't get high pH.

Are there other things about SWG that would make them work better with lower TA? I don't want to go to the hassle of lowering it if I'm solving the situation through the acid feeder/pH system. But, if there are other reasons, then maybe it's worth it.

*90-110: I get different results from my test kit than when I take it to the pool store. I'm not sure who to believe.

High TA causes the pH to rise. SWG also cause the pH to rise. The lower TA will just slow down how quickly the pH rises.

If you are happy with your pH, then do not worry about the TA. The TA will lower a little every time you lower the pH with acid, so not really no need to focus on the TA.

Red said:
*90-110: I get different results from my test kit than when I take it to the pool store. I'm not sure who to believe.
Trust your results over the pool stores. Even if yours are slightly off, they should be much more consistent...and you will adjust as your pool demands it (i.e. high TA will require more frequent use of MA, therefore lowering the TA level over time).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.