Adding cyanuric acid questions.

Are you adding the granules or the liquid? In either case you should not have to turn off the SWG as long as you do not add it to the skimmer (which we recommend you never put any chemicals into the skimmer).

I do not understand the question regarding the cover.

The pool is safe to swim when FC > the minimum and < the shock level for your CYA level (See Chlorine CYA Chart), the bottom is visible, your CC is not more than 0.5ppm, and ideally your pH is in range for comfort.

you can leave the cover on when you add cya just put it into a sock and hang it in front of the return just don't let it touch the liner because it can discolor it, also you can swim safely with it in the pool as a matter of fact knead the sock as often as you like it will help it dissolve faster........Mike

fast1971chevelle said:
Don't backwash the filter for a couple days because if you do it will wash a bunch of it out.... You should never add any chemicles to the skimmer......Mike

There are a few exceptions DE is one of those. Generally it is good to avoid adding highly acidic or highly basic corrosive chemicals to the skimmer. So no chlorine, acid, etc.

Yeah, generally, not a great idea to add to the skimmer but, if you use some good sense, it can be done. Cal Hypo works well slowly into a skimmer....so does CYA assuming you know not to backwash for a few days.

Baking soda does well for me in the skimmer, too.

That is good to hear that the CYA can go in the skimmer because that is how I added mine. It was granular and I put it slowly in the one nearest the filter. It went right through and I could see it go through the basket of the filter. We haven't had to backwash at all this summer. The pressure only moved one point. I think we are lucky with location. No trees, no dirt so not much gets in there and whatever does, I scoop out with the mesh bag.

Hopefully I am done with CYA for the year.

Follow-up : I usually pour my liquids (Chlorine, MA) in FRONT of the skimmer - in a long line in the direction the water is flowing .. I never pour directly into the skimmer ... Is that the proper method (in FRONT) ... or WHERE do you normally pour your liquids when adding?

Slowly pour them in front of the return jet of water so they mix in the pool not in the plumbing and equipment.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Return Jet ? You mena where the water COMES BACK INTO THE POOL, right ??? Wow ... I've been pouring in front of the Skimmer intake because the pool serrvice did that when they turned it all over to me .. duly noted. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.