Quick question to block a pool return

Aug 21, 2012
Hi, I have a Polaris 360 and I have 2 pool returns (where the water comes out of). My pool is very old and the pool return is just made of plaster. One of them is big enough so I just stuck in the polaris hose pretty deep and it stays there alright. However I don't get enough pressure because there is a second hole. I tried to plug the second hole with a cork (it's smaller), but it keeps falling out due to high pressure. I have managed to temporarily block the second hole (maybe for one day before the cork slips out), and the polaris zips along just fine.

What can I use to block the second hole?

Edit: Does anyone know how I can make the pool blue color? The plaster is white but I went to a party this weekend and they had a blue color pool and it makes it look so clean. My water is fine but white doesn't look as clean for some reason lol.

Thank you

I cannot help on the plumbing question but can you tell us about your pool water tests? I will offer a guess that your pool is low on chlorine and/or perhaps high on stabilizer thus making the chlorine it has not available. Not sure of your location (you can add that to your signature in profile) but sometimes local water conditions may give you high calcium that can be aggravated by chemical use to dull the water. We want to know FC, TC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and (very important) CYA. Please read Pool School if you need help with those terms. Also, how do you add chlorine to your pool? What products do you use?

Godzealots said:
Hi, I have a Polaris 360 and I have 2 pool returns (where the water comes out of). My pool is very old and the pool return is just made of plaster. One of them is big enough so I just stuck in the polaris hose pretty deep and it stays there alright. However I don't get enough pressure because there is a second hole. I tried to plug the second hole with a cork (it's smaller), but it keeps falling out due to high pressure. I have managed to temporarily block the second hole (maybe for one day before the cork slips out), and the polaris zips along just fine.

What can I use to block the second hole?

I'm afraid if you plug the 2nd return you'll find the polaris hose will simply blow out. You have a couple of choices as I see it:

• Plumb a new return to run the Polaris from - fit this with the proper locking UWF connector for the Polaris.
    If you choose this option - look in the plumbing section of the local hardware/plumbing supply place for rubber expanding plumbing plugs (Like these: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/plumbi ... imZ1z0erg0 ) and use this to stopper the other two returns when you are using the cleaner.

Ditch the Polaris and get a robot or a suction side cleaner.

Godzealots said:
Edit: Does anyone know how I can make the pool blue color? The plaster is white but I went to a party this weekend and they had a blue color pool and it makes it look so clean. My water is fine but white doesn't look as clean for some reason lol.

Paint is an option I think.

Yes I have a weekly pool man, I am very sorry, I don't know anything about the levels of chemicals. My pool water is pretty blue already, but I like the deep blue color when the pool is deep blue tile, or painted blue. I will look into the paint, thank you. And also thank you for the plug, that looks perfect! The hose will not blow out, the reason I know is because I stuck it in very deep like a foot in haha. Also I've completely blocked the second hole before and the hose didn't blow out. That plug might be exactly what I'm looking for. Should I drain my pool and paint it?

Godzealots said:
I will look into the paint, thank you... Should I drain my pool and paint it?

As far as I know you would have to drain to get the paint on there - but depending on the water table and other issues like drying out - you'll have to consult some more experts to determine if the risk is worth it.

Godzealots said:
And also thank you for the plug, that looks perfect! The hose will not blow out, the reason I know is because I stuck it in very deep like a foot in haha. Also I've completely blocked the second hole before and the hose didn't blow out. That plug might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Remember to find out the hole size before shopping. These things can produce a LOT of outward force - I've seen them used in rocketry applications to retain motors against high PSI ejection events.

Also if the hose didn't come out when you stuck in there - did any water leak around it? Ultimately there may not be enough force unless the seal is really good - and at that point it may blow out. I wonder if you can retrofit a PVC adapter into the larger return.

Since I assume you have only plaster and no fixture (threaded) at the return, you will have to go to the return line on your equipment pad and, assuming you don't have any, install some controlling valves.

If you have one line going to both returns then that wont work. Hopefully they split before they go underground.

Don't paint your pool. Pool paint is problematic from the beginning and will cause you many, many headaches over the years. Far more than not liking your water color.

You're correct, there is no threading on the two returns. It's one line going to both returns. So if I block one the other one gets double power! I stick in the Polaris hose pretty deep, but it still leaks out some water around it. That is a good thing, the pressure becomes a little too high when the other hole is completely blocked, because the tail will shoot water into the air. Is there any other way to make the plaster a blue color besides painting? Maybe some sort of dye..?

PS. Thanks for all the replies

My 380 shoots water 30-40 feet up if I hold the tail up. Occasionally a little shoots out in normal operation. The key is to test as Polaris recommends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.