Wet light niche

kyle11

May 17, 2012
My light has been installed already in our new build but they did not run the bonding wire to the inside of the niche, they just ran the cord our of the niche and through one piece of conduit to get it above the water level. Can that be done and encapsulated with the proper potting compound if the niche is full of water?

Also it appears there is a bonding lug on the outside of the niche also. Does the niche get bonded inside and out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the conduit is PVC, then it gets a separate ground wire internally along with the 3M 2135 approved potting compound on the lug. I am not sure if you can apply this wet, but I would not. Externally, it needs a bonding wire.

jmhjgh said:
If the conduit is PVC, then it gets a separate ground wire internally along with the 3M 2135 approved potting compound on the lug. I am not sure if you can apply this wet, but I would not. Externally, it needs a bonding wire.

Ok thanks for your response. So if I used copper conduit I would not have to run a separate internal ground wire? The water is not all the way over the light right now but it is about 3/4 the way up the light. Where does the separate internal ground wire terminate at if I do go that route? Does it connect to the ground at the junction with the other ground then go to the sub panel or does it go to the bonding grid? I know the 2 are separate but it does not say where it terminates in the book. I also have a friend of my brother in law that is a licensed electrician helping with the electrical but am wanting to clarify this before we do it this weekend.

Another quick question. Is there a place locally that would sell the potting compound? Do pool stores, electrical stores, or big box stores usually carry it or would I have to order it online? I know you can't say who in my area would have it just asking where I should start looking. Also it says 3m 2135 or equivalent what would make a potting compound equivalent? Thanks!

Is there a place locally that would sell the potting compound?

We buy our potting compound at the electrical supply house. Most electrical inspectors in the our area want to see the ground in the niche and the compound installed.

kyle11 said:
jmhjgh said:

Ok thanks for your response. So if I used copper conduit I would not have to run a separate internal ground wire? The water is not all the way over the light right now but it is about 3/4 the way up the light. Where does the separate internal ground wire terminate at if I do go that route? Does it connect to the ground at the junction with the other ground then go to the sub panel or does it go to the bonding grid? I know the 2 are separate but it does not say where it terminates in the book. I also have a friend of my brother in law that is a licensed electrician helping with the electrical but am wanting to clarify this before we do it this weekend.

Internal ground goes to lug inside light niche to ground bar in wet niche J-Box.

There should be an external lug on both light niche and J-Box that you take a separate wire to the grid.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Ok thanks Chris. That clears it up. Hopefully I will not have to drain any water. I read it takes 60 minutes to harden and 4 hours to be ready to submerge under water. I will call the local inspector and see what he wants to see regarding the light. Thanks again for clearing that up.

Quick question on the water bond. When I bond the light niche on the outside that counts as the water bond that is suppose to be at least 9 sq in correct? I have no hand rails or ladders.

I assume you mean Brass conduit not copper. No need for extra ground wire. Niche bonded to steel, brass bonded to steel and equipment bonded to steel or brass along with any metal within 5'. Local authority having jurisdiction of course.
Plus you would have a heck of a time pulling a #8 ground in 3/4" brass. Or should I say a heck of time later pulling it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just-a-PB said:
I assume you mean Brass conduit not copper. No need for extra ground wire. Niche bonded to steel, brass bonded to steel and equipment bonded to steel or brass along with any metal within 5'. Local authority having jurisdiction of course.
Plus you would have a heck of a time pulling a #8 ground in 3/4" brass. Or should I say a heck of time later pulling it out.

Yes thanks. I think I just had copper on the brain from talking about the copper ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.