CYA Testing Question

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I have consistently tested 30 - 35 all season.

When i went to test today i filled to the bottom of the label per the instructions ..... then used the last of my reagent and got 80% or so of the way to the top of the label.

My reading was 50 or so the way it was mixed.

So my question is does that make sense that with too little reagent i would get a higher CYA reading?

Also ... approximately how many tests should i be able to do with the reagent supplied in the tf 100 xl test kit (i believe the xl is irrelevant and only give extra material for CL test)? ...... my kit came with a big huge bottle of CYA reagent but it was only 20% full.

ship of fools said:

When i went to test today i filled to the bottom of the label per the instructions ..... then used the last of my reagent and got 80% or so of the way to the top of the label.

So my question is does that make sense that with too little reagent i would get a higher CYA reading?

No clue. Logic says if you had too much water and only a little reagent then it would be less cloudy - but with less total solution - I guess it could be cloudier than normal but I have no idea.

ship of fools said:
Also ... approximately how many tests should i be able to do with the reagent supplied in the tf 100 xl test kit (i believe the xl is irrelevant and only give extra material for CL test)? ...... my kit came with a big huge bottle of CYA reagent but it was only 20% full.

That's weird. You should contact the company - my bottle of CYA reagent was totally full. This is the TF100 right?

ship of fools said:

Also you dont really need to test CYA frequently. Unless you get a lot of splashout or overflow, your CYA wont really change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.