Concrete sealer in pool

acadianarose

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2012
Lafayette, Louisiana
Hopefully someone can help. My husband was sealing our concrete deck around the pool when before he knew it, the sealer got into the pool water. It didn't mix with the water. It left a film on top. I was able to skim a lot of it out with the net and what was left was little chunks almost like little bits of chewing gum. I put a pair of pantyhose over the skimmer basket to try to keep it from going in the lines and into the pump.

What else should I do? I am kind of panicking here. Will it contaminate the pool water?

Thanks for your help.
Linda

Skimming as much as you could and the pantyhose over the skimmer basket is probably all you need to do. It'll filter it's way out before long and be fine. The chlorine will oxidize what's left if anything.

Thanks everyone. The water looked pretty good this morning. Quite a bit of the remaining sealer was in the skimmer basket. It kind of looks like wax now. I think that the rest fell to the bottom. I will leave the hose on the skimmer basket for a couple of days just to make sure we have it all out. :)

Linda

BTW- What are enzymes?

acadianarose said:
Thanks everyone. The water looked pretty good this morning. Quite a bit of the remaining sealer was in the skimmer basket. It kind of looks like wax now. I think that the rest fell to the bottom. I will leave the hose on the skimmer basket for a couple of days just to make sure we have it all out. :)

Linda

BTW- What are enzymes?

Hi, I am just curious.. How did he put the sealer on? spray, roll, brush.
We always brush on starting at the back of the pool and working our way around. We brush because of the stamped concrete and want to get it in the grooves . It takes about 7 hours so I really would like to find a better way. Even with brushing my husband always drips some in the pool around the coping.

Our contractor told us to roll it on so that is what we did. We have stamped concrete also and rolling got it in the grooves really well. The problem was the sealant pooled in the lines cut over the expansion joints and dripped into the pool. We will brush that area next time. Lesson learned.

acadianarose said:
Our contractor told us to roll it on so that is what we did. We have stamped concrete also and rolling got it in the grooves really well. The problem was the sealant pooled in the lines cut over the expansion joints and dripped into the pool. We will brush that area next time. Lesson learned.

Great. thanks.. I think next year I am going to buy rollers and just brush around the pool... Much better idea..

ajackson said:
acadianarose said:

Great. thanks.. I think next year I am going to buy rollers and just brush around the pool... Much better idea..

It worked well (except, of course, around the pool) and we were finished in no time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.