Looking for unbiased pump reviews

4knights

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
NE Kansas
We're in the process of getting an inground fiberglass pool and the company wants to install a challenger pump and sand filter. After spending more hours than I can count online, I've found multiple sites talking about how expensive the challenger is to run. I found a pump called Eco pump that claims to use far less than half the kw/hr than others.

So, anyone heard of or have the Eco pump? I won't mind shelling out the $850.00 for the pump if it really saves that much energy! It also claims a 5 year warranty.
http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pool-pump-reviews.html

Any advice would be great!
Ron

Basically, it is an overpriced two speed pump. For the same price you can get an Intelliflo or even a EcoStar now so why would you bother?

So the comparison table on their site is biased toward their pump? I just want to get a pump that has true energy efficiency and don't know enough about any of this. It's a huge learning curve and each site touts thier products over others. I really want to make an informed decision. Thanks for the replies so far and keep them coming. I know my pool guy must be tearing his hair out with all my questions.

Yes it is biased and they have incorrect information as well. The two speed data looks like they took it off the pump label instead of actual measurements. A two speed pump on low speed is rated for much more current than it actually uses. For example, on their site, they have the Whisperflo WFDS-4 at 0.69 kw when in fact it is closer to 0.4 kw. This is still more than their pump but that is because they are using a newer two speed motor that uses a run capacitor on low speed. A.O.Smith now sells a similar motor with the same efficiency so in theory, any two speed pump can be just as efficient as theirs.

But the worst part is that they are selling it for the same price as some of the VS pumps when a VS pump will give you far more flexibility and more efficiency.

Would I be better off with the new recommendation from my pool guy of getting the whisper flow 1hp or should I ask for a variable speed? I'm looking for best efficiency while maintaining a clean salt system pool.
Current recommendation is a total Pentair setup, whisper flo pump 1hp, pentair 40 sand filter and pentair salt generator.
Thanks Ron

Post some details of your planned pool and we can make some recommendations. For example, the "40" filter, if that is the SD40, we would recommend that only up to a 9500 gallon pool.

Let us know pool volume, plumbing diameter and number of runs/returns/supplies planned...etc.

We're looking at a riviera 30 from leisure pools, it comes with a strainer, 2 main drains and 3 returns. The pool is free form 15x30 3'8" shallow end and 5'8" deep end. Lines will be 2 inch schedule 40 rigid. And will also add two 1 1/2 inch lines for future slide and water feature.

So from what I can see that is ~13000 gallon pool (got 14,300 gallons off of a google search, but I don't believe it). So from that, we would recommend a minimum 2.5 sq. ft. sand filter, a minimum 190 sq. ft. cartridge filter, or a minimum 36 sq. ft DE filter (or 18 sq. ft. if you want to be less conservative).

For a sand filter that would mean something like the Pentair SD70 (3.15 sq.ft). Hayward has something in between, the s220T (2.64 sq. ft).

The 1 hp full rated whisper flow seems like a lot of pump for that pool. IMO the 3/4 full rated pump will be better, though still pretty high flow rate for that pool size. Both are available in a 2-speed. If you go with the 3/4 (or 1hp) I would go with the bigger filter, such as the SD70 (or even SD80).

By the way, ask the builder if the 1 hp is a full rated pump, or an uprated. If it is uprated, then that is the same as the full rated 3/4 pump...but I would still go with a 2-speed.

Thanks,
Would the 2 speed pump be a better option and if so, does the low speed allow enough water turn over for the pool and then use high speed just for vacuuming? How long per day would the pump need to run on low?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is hard to make a general statement on how long you will need to run. In addition , you may or may not need to run on high to get good surface skimming (I don't). Running time is the amount you need to keep your pool clear, and that depends on many factors...swimmer load, organic load (leaves and other debris), temperature, etc.

Assuming a flow rate of 77 gpm (low head loss in your plumbing, and 3/4 hp full rated whisperflo), then you would turn your pool over in 2.8 hours (assuming 13000 gallons) when on high. It would take twice that long or 5.6 hours (actually probably a little less due to less head loss) to turn the pool once on low. A "rule of thumb" is you want to be able to turn you pool over 3 times a day, so either speed meets that guideline.

Looking at those numbers, it still feels like a 3/4 fullrated whisperflo is a bit big for your pool, but the mention of future water features may be a good reason to stay with it. When running on low, it is well sized for your pool. With this pump, I would definitely go with at least the SD70 sand filter or even the SD80 (3.5 sq. ft).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.