Fixing IGP vinyl pool base

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Hey everyone. I had one heck of a time with getting my pool built and there were numerous problems. Some were fixed right away, two are going to be done after we close the pool for the season. One of those issues is redoing the pool base. There was quite the delay from leveling out the vermiculite to actually installing our liner. They actually had to replace the liner once already due to some other issues. What we have now are numerous small depressions and cracks in the base material that we can easily see and feel. Some are almost a foot long, an inch deep and a few inches wide! They are all over the base of the pool. The liner has formed itself to these depressions and other issues and we have no leaks. I am guessing it was from the base being exposed to the elements for several weeks (we had rain and lots of heat during that time). When they did finally install the liner they just did a quick trowel job over the existing base.

The plan right now is to completely drain the pool, shovel out all the old vermiculite and redo the entire pool floor to spec with dirt and a new vermiculite base. They also have to do it all by hand since we just had our landscaping done and dont want a Bobcat or anything else tearing up our sod and plants again. They also need to level the base out, one end of our pool is 6" shallower than the other! We have a sport pool with two shallow ends.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Anything else I need to watch for or plan for? I am going to guess he is going to try and get me to reuse the liner once he fixed the base. I am thinking there is no way that liner is going to fit or be usable. All those stretched out areas are going to be wrinkled at best and the liner will want to shrink once drained, right?? This is already liner two so I know he wont want to drop the money on liner #3 but I have it in writing it will be fixed properly and to spec. He also needs to fix all of our concrete coping while it is drained.

I should mention that the contractor is my neighbor and somewhat of a friend. The whole pool install mess strained that a bit. His wife still brings the kids over to swim with our kids now and then and we still have friendly talks, just not as much as before this mess.

Hello,
I too noticed similar things in our pool bottom (though not to your extent). Mostly you can feel a little crack here or there. We have one place about a foot long, by 6" wide that it feels like the contractor didn't put enough vermiculite in and it isn't smooth.

I was actually wondering if there is any way to fix it without draining and redoing the bottom since it will cost me for a new liner, and $1300 just for the water to be delivered.

Any thoughts out there?

I am in a similar situation. We have build that has been going on since February! Many, many issues. PB says all will be fixed once season is over and new liner installed at their expense.
My opinion: you paid for a new pool in good order. Look at the cost. Many new vehicles cost less! You would not accept a new car with such issues either :)
If you can have the issues resolved while maintaining a friendly relationship, you will be much better off ,as well as feel better about it.

The liner may be reusable. Here seems a reasonable compromise. If he wants to, allow him to reinstall the old liner but to your satisfaction. All pool bottoms have depressions, bumps, and valleys (not as bad as yours) so, for that to work, both you and PB have to have a VERY clear understanding of what's acceptable and what is not.

In fairness, he should then provide a warranty as if were new.

The liner may shrink some but that's actually good so he can vacuum it down tight to the new surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.