Overlap liner coming off wall

Aug 20, 2012
I've looked around and cant find the resolution to the issue I am having. I opened up my 15x25 pool this year and could not get the green water to clear up. Eventually per the recommendation of two pool stores, I drained most of the water. I am not in the process of refilling, but after I get about 10-12" of water in the pool the liner comes off the wall. There seems to be a large bulge about halfway up the liner on the ends that the liner is coming off of. I think the liner may be several inches off the wall where the bulge is. I now cannot even get the liner to stretch back over the wall. This is happening an both ends. There are very few, almost no, wrinkles on the floor. I dont understand why the same liner is all of a sudden not fitting. I thought of maybe just going ahead an replacing the liner (since its got to be at least 5-10 yrs old based on paperwork when I bought this house), but dont want to have the same issue with the new liner. I figured trial and error would be better with the old liner.

I dont want to put more water in unless that will help.

Thanks.

Older liners can be tough to reset. Work on the liner after the sun has been on it for as long as possible, and make sure your sand or bottom support material is at the proper level.

For future reference, it is almost never helpful to fully drain a pool because of algae. Not much good now, I know.

JohnT said:
Older liners can be tough to reset. Work on the liner after the sun has been on it for as long as possible, and make sure your sand or bottom support material is at the proper level.

Thanks. The sand appears to be ok and still packed pretty well. Should I drain any of the about 10-12" of water that is currently in the pool? If not, how do I adjust with the water still in? I saw a you tube about someone using toilet plungers, wonder if that would work?

gigaguy said:
If not, how do I adjust with the water still in? I saw a you tube about someone using toilet plungers, wonder if that would work?

It will let you get a grip on the liner, but if the liner is in poor condition it can tear it. Pull gently.

zea3 said:
How long was the pool drained before you started refilling?

Maybe a day or so. But at the level where its furthest away from the wall hasnt had any water at that level for at least a week. It took several days to drain, then (since I have a well pump) several hours to get to the point it is at now.

From this question it sounds like I should have just filled it all in one shot. I was just worried about burning out my well pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.