pump basket suction

May 19, 2012
I have noticed poor suction in the skimmer this year and maybe just never paid much attention to it so it could just be the way it works. But here's a question. When I open the lid to the pump basket the water drains out with a sucking sound leaving just a few inches of water in the basin. When I replace the lid and restart the pump the system primes itself within 45-50 seconds. Is this normal? I am wondering whether that is the source of the relatively weak skimmer suction.

Is this normal?
Yes.

YOur "poor suction" at the skimmer is better characterized as low flow. The low flow can be caused by a whole variety of things. After your pump primes does the pump basket fill completely with water or is there a lot of sloshing and air in it?

duraleigh said:
Is this normal?
Yes.

YOur "poor suction" at the skimmer is better characterized as low flow. The low flow can be caused by a whole variety of things. After your pump primes does the pump basket fill completely with water or is there a lot of sloshing and air in it?

Thanks for the quick response. The pump basket fills completely with water and returns to pool appear to be free of air, although that can take longer than 50 secs to be completely free of air.

The pump basket fills completely with water and returns to pool appear to be free of air, although that can take longer than 50 secs to be completely free of air.
That's good. So, now, look for a restriction on the pressure side.

What HP pump do you have? What is your normal psi? What is it now? (a dirty filter will cause low flow) Have you made any changes like the size of the return eyeballs that would restrict flow?

I'll have to check the pump model when I get home but normal psi is 15.5 and right now its around 16.5. I have not changed the return eyeballs, assuming those are the screw-ins on the returns but this was the first year I actually opened the pool myself so I may have put them on wrong. I just screwed them on as tight as I could manually and then adjusted the direction of the flow either upwards or downwards. I wouldn't think that would affect flow.

By a dirty filter, do you mean too much debris within the sand itself?

That all sounds pretty normal. It thought perhaps you had placed smaller eyeballs which would've increased pressure and decreased flow.

Yeah, a sand filter that hasn't been backwashed will demonstrate a higher pressure and resultant low flow but your pressure seems fine, too.

What made you notice (low flow) it this year?

duraleigh said:
That all sounds pretty normal. It thought perhaps you had placed smaller eyeballs which would've increased pressure and decreased flow.

Yeah, a sand filter that hasn't been backwashed will demonstrate a higher pressure and resultant low flow but your pressure seems fine, too.

What made you notice (low flow) it this year?

I've noticed debris floating by the skimmer and not being drawn in very well. The suction from my vacuum has not been great either. I figured I'd ask just in case there was something wrong but it sounds like this is how it works. The vacuum cleaner suction has improved somewhat now that I replaced the hose so its really just the ineffectiveness of the skimmer I guess.

bostonbruins59 said:
I've noticed debris floating by the skimmer and not being drawn in very well. The suction from my vacuum has not been great either. I figured I'd ask just in case there was something wrong but it sounds like this is how it works. The vacuum cleaner suction has improved somewhat now that I replaced the hose so its really just the ineffectiveness of the skimmer I guess.

Do you have a main drain? If so, is it turned off during your use of the vacuum?

so its really just the ineffectiveness of the skimmer I guess.
You can increase the flow velocity of the water into the skimmer by lowering the water level. If you do that, be sure you don't get it so low you start sucking air.

You do have the skimmer door (weir) installed and operating, correct?

yes, I have a skimmer door although it seems to block the debris from coming in as much as it keeps already trapped debris in the skimmer. Not sure if I have it installed properly either since its prone to popping off if the kids have a rowdy swim.

and yes, I close the main drain (mostly) when vacuuming. I have even taken to closing the main drain to improve the skimmer flow but am not sure if that helps or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
so its really just the ineffectiveness of the skimmer I guess.
You can increase the flow velocity of the water into the skimmer by lowering the water level. If you do that, be sure you don't get it so low you start sucking air.

You do have the skimmer door (weir) installed and operating, correct?

My skimmer issue was the skimmer weir after all. I've installed it wrongly for years.
I thought it was for keeping the debris in so I hung it from the top rather than from below.
I did not realize it was to create surface tension and improve flow! :hammer:

The thing is now drawing like its never drawn before! Thanks a bunch for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.