Planning first pool party (pool christening) lol

zbigkid

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
Illinois
Wasnt sure which Forum to post this in. (maybe a new forum called Pool Parties) would be an appropriate add.

So this isnt just about food, but does anyone have any good ideas, recipes, tips, what-to-dos, what-not-to-do's for our first pool party ?

We are holding it labor day weekend, on Saturday, mostly for our neighbors, but also good friends. Planning from 2pm to 11pm, so kids can swim, and maybe adults swim into the evening. Weather forecast now says 90. We'll keep our fingers crossed it stays at that. Yesterday it said 73, but then the day before it said 90. How crazy is that ? And from a site called Accueweather ?

Things im wondering about:
Is 40 people too many for our pool area ?
Should we put up a make shift changing area outside ?
Should i rent a porta potty so guests wont trapse through the house all wet, or p in the pool ?
Do i shock the pool before they all get there or raise my fc level a bit ? Its normally at 3.
Should we put food inside (our kitchen and family room are right on back side of house looking into pool area) or should we keep everyone outside to avoid the hassle of monitoring two areas ?
Should i be concerned about people drinking too much alcohol ?
What do i do with kids who might not want to swim ? (not keen in having them hang out in our basement playing video games).
should i put any outdoor games outside our fence area ? Ie badminton, volleyball. Or just let people hang in around pool area ?
What about mosquitos ? Should i spray treat around outside of fence area ? We havent had many this year due to drought, but itd be our luck we get some since there is rain forecast a bit that week before.

Thanks in advance for any tips, and yeah some of these are probably dumb questions, since we havent hosted very many parties before, let alone a pool party.
Ps. pictures of our pool area posted in pix forum.

Is 40 people too many for our pool area ?
-As long as you have the room, no.
-Just looked at your pool, seems to have plenty of area to hang out. Most people will probably be in the pool a majority of the time, except to eat.

Should we put up a make shift changing area outside ?
-Personal preference. Do you want them in your house to change? Some people may not like the idea of changing outside.

Should i rent a porta potty so guests wont trapse through the house all wet, or p in the pool ?
-Again, personal preference. Take your waterbill vs renting a porta potty cost. Do you want people walking through your house with wet suits? We make everyone dry off at our house before entering.

Do i shock the pool before they all get there or raise my fc level a bit ? Its normally at 3.
-No need to shock, just raise the FC before the party, check it during (maybe when food is being served) and after. Add chlorine as needed.

Should we put food inside (our kitchen and family room are right on back side of house looking into pool area) or should we keep everyone outside to avoid the hassle of monitoring two areas ?
-We put all of our food out on tables. We only pull cold stuff out when it's time to eat, and try to put it away as soon as we can. Then pull it out again a bit later, as to not spoil it. You could also put things on ice outside if needed.

Should i be concerned about people drinking too much alcohol ?
-It's always a concern, and safety hazard for people to be getting wasted and swimming.

What do i do with kids who might not want to swim ? (not keen in having them hang out in our basement playing video games).
should i put any outdoor games outside our fence area ? Ie badminton, volleyball. Or just let people hang in around pool area ?
-Personal preference

What about mosquitos ? Should i spray treat around outside of fence area ? We havent had many this year due to drought, but itd be our luck we get some since there is rain forecast a bit that week before.
-You're outside and in the yard, if they want you, they will find you. If it's really a concern, maybe have some bug spray handy sitting there for people to use if they prefer?

:party: Sunscreen and a random supply of towels.

I have hardwood floors... so when I know people are going to be traipsing in and out, I lay a couple old towels on the floor right at the inside of the door (spread out) Myself? I usually shuffle to the bathroom with the towel under my feet. I dry the dogs off as good as I can, but with those towels down, I can tell it helps too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.