Why is FC going down so fast?

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I drained and refilled the entire pool a week ago.
I have been trying to balance the water all week.
Latest:
FC 8.0
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 200
CH 250
CYA 40

I have added acid to bring down the pH over the week when I wasn't shocking with FC >10. It's 0.2 higher today than a few days ago last I checked.
I added CH and got to 250.
I added CYA and got to 40 (I even ordered the standard CYA 50 so I could compare and the pool store used the dot with the handle and I looked at that myself. I was so concerned about CYA that I needed to make sure for myself so I'm pretty confident it's 40).
Starting Friday I shocked the pool at algae levels for over 24 hours - I tested frequently and added when needed and tried to keep FC at 16-17. This morning @7:45AM I thought I passed the OCLT. So today I thought I would stop shocking and see where the FC landed and start to try to keep it at the standard min 3 & target 5 (for CYA 40).
At 10:00PM FC measured 8.0!! I thought standard loss, even for a direct sunlight pool like mine was around 3-4. Why in the world would my pool lose so much FC? Is that normal?
The water looks great - it looks better than ever since previously my CH was well over 600 and CYA was way over 100 prior to the drain/fill.
Thanks for help in advance.

During the day you lose chlorine as a percentage, not an absolute number. Your loss rate of 50% is in the ballpark for a CYA of 40 ppm in strong direct sunlight. If you target and start with 6 ppm FC, then you might lose 3 ppm (50%) during the day. If you want to lose less than that, then you may need to raise the CYA level. Anyway, don't worry about the larger loss rate you saw since your FC was high.

Hey, thanks so much for the response!! I am feeling way better. Somehow, I must have missed the message that the FC loss would be more of a % than an absolute - which totally makes sense.
I'm going to continue to work on balancing my water.
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.