New here - Pool is Green :-(

BADsDAD

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
Dallas
Hi all, I just joined TFP after a 3rd year of my Intex pool turning green once the water temp got to about 95F. Today I went out and see that there are backswimmers in the pool as well. sigh... :( So, using the pool calculator I added 182 oz of bleach to get it up to shock level (7500gal) and I am ordering a TF100 to properly test.

Now that I joined, I donated to be a supporter and am wondering how I can get the $10 off of the TF100. Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Thanks!! :cheers:

182 oz of 6% will only raise FC to 12. Which is fine if you have low CYA, but odds are, since you're new here, you've been using trichlor pucks for who knows how long which will have driven CYA up to triple digits. Which then makes the shock level much, much higher than you think is necessary.

You need to spend a little more time in Pool School.
category.php?c=getting_started
category.php?c=pool_chemistry
pool-school/defeating_algae

Richard320 said:
182 oz of 6% will only raise FC to 12. Which is fine if you have low CYA, but odds are, since you're new here, you've been using trichlor pucks for who knows how long which will have driven CYA up to triple digits. Which then makes the shock level much, much higher than you think is necessary.

You need to spend a little more time in Pool School.
category.php?c=getting_started
category.php?c=pool_chemistry
pool-school/defeating_algae

Ahh, but no. I never use trichlor, only GV bleach from WalMart. I have been lurking here for a while :wink: , but I keep having issues using the hth kit each year (I'm cheap, but it's costing me!), so I figured it was time to get more serious and order the tf100, which I did earlier today. I just did a CYA test with my hth kit and it's at 40 now. Wife went to the store and I just dumped another 182oz in it tonight. So I am thinking I am around 25ppm given the 4ppm I had before I started but I don't think I'll really know until I get the good kit. Is there any danger in going a bit over? I mean 30ish until I get the kit?

Well, I added another 96oz on Wed night and then another last night. Got my TF100 and tested today and have 9ppm. So I am below shock :(
I just added another 182 after testing so according to the calc it will put me around 20ppm. It is much harder to keep it in the shock range than I thought.
I will test tonight and in the morning to see what my overnight FC loss is. But I guess according to Pool School, What I used this week was wasted as it dropped much faster than I thought and got below shock level. Such a bummer... Not much warm weather left.

Not really wasted as you killed something with it but not as good as HOLDING the FC at shock value.....that's what will clear your pool the quickest using the least amount of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.