FINALLY!! got my algae ridden water to clear in an INTEX 10k

equinn

Aug 19, 2012
First, just want to say THANKS for all the good information out here- I have been dealing with algae in an Intex 10,000 gallon pool for the past 2 years off and on and, using a combination of ideas found here, got it to clear yesterday!Even better, I now understand the root causes and how to keep this from happening to me again- so thanks!

Here's what I did-

first, I bought a GOOD test kit ( home depot, $14.99) along with a concentrated algecide and some sink and sweep, which basically coagulates everything and makes it sink to the bottom

Next, i checked all my levels, made sure I had PLENTY of chlorine/free chlorine in the water and adjusted the alkalinity- mine was low, and that had not been showing on my little test strips. I used 20 mule team borax to bring up my alkalinity- about a half a box.

After letting my pump and filter run for about an hour, I rechecked my alkalinity level and it was fine. SO I added algecide - it was a 20% algecide from Home Depot and I put in 13 ounces which is what it said to do on the bottle. Then I let my filter and pump run for another 2 hours to circulate everything.

At this point I had a nasty yellow/brown pool and particles starting to coagulate on the top of the water like scum. So I turned off the pump to let everything settle. About 6 hours later when I checked, the water was CLEAR, with LOTS of brown sludge on the bottom.

I vacuumed this out, dumping the hose over the side onto the ground- I had read on here that the filters on these pools will not handle this kind of gunk. Then I let the pool settle overnight and vacuumed out the rest, again dumping the water from the hose over the side.I used the vacuum from OUTSIDE the pool- the less you disturb the gunk, the better off you are.

Then I replaced the 4 inches of water I had lost, adjusted my levels and added 3 ounces of algecide as a preventive. I put in a brand new filter cartridge and threw a little algecide in the filter well as well, just to be certain I'm happy to say , that after running the filter and skimmer for 4 hours, the pool is SPARKLING CLEAN and all my levels look good.

Hope this helps those of you who have above ground pools.

Re: FINALLY!! got my algae ridden water to clear in an INTEX

Welcome to tfp, equinn :wave:

First it is great that your pool is clear....but...

equinn said:
First, just want to say THANKS for all the good information out here- I have been dealing with algae in an Intex 10,000 gallon pool for the past 2 years off and on and, using a combination of ideas found here, got it to clear yesterday!Even better, I now understand the root causes and how to keep this from happening to me again- so thanks!
Most of what you did was not per our recommendations on this site. For defeating algae we are proponents of bringing the pool up to appropriate higher chlorine levels and holding it there until the criteria are passed. Algaecide is not part of the recommended shocking process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Re: FINALLY!! got my algae ridden water to clear in an INTEX

Welcome to TFP.

I have to agree, almost none of what you did is recommended here, even the test kit you got isn't a good one.

I wish you luck, but I hope no one else follows your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.