Help! Elevated Spa Draining Back Into Pool.Pics inside of eq

Aug 19, 2012
Hi everyone. Came across this site last night, and found it to be very helpful.

Anyhow, I recently purchased a home, and it appears to have a great pool system that checked out. Only issue is that the spa drains into the pool. It seems to be a return issue, as the pooland spa both have in ground drains. I have 2 Jandy valves that will rotate to the correct position when I turn the spa on, and afterwards, revert to the previous position, which is shown in these photos. If I turn the filter pump on, it merely stays in this position shown in the photos, and does no movement before or after.These photos were taken with the filter pump on.

I tried removing the top last night on the return valve and seeing if there was perhaps a loose connection, and all seemed to check out. I'm thinking if there's a possibility to have a setting that cause the valve to revert to the pool (or spa?) return being closed when not on, that it will solve the issue, but am not sure if that work work, or even how to do it, which is why I am here. I'm capable of fixing, just need to be directed to the way to do so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-David

IMG_20120819_091515.jpg

IMG_20120819_091520.jpg

IMG_20120819_091528.jpg

IMG_20120819_091545.jpg

IMG_20120819_091633.jpg

Re: Help! Elevated Spa Draining Back Into Pool. Pics Inside

Welcome to TFP!

This is usually due to a failing check valve. Yours is in the 2 picture by the spa jets label. Called an Ortega valve. The end should unscrew and they are rebuildable.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Re: Help! Elevated Spa Draining Back Into Pool.Pics inside o

I have never worked on that type of check valve, so I am not sure how the rebuild is done.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Looks like the water will just drain from the spa returns through the jandy valve that's half -open and down to the pool.

[attachment=0:3222xm84]drain.jpg[/attachment:3222xm84]
Also, it looks like there is a smaller line to keep some flow going into the spa even if the main valve is closed off. If that line has no check valve nor gate valve, it could be your drain path.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 70

I think it most likely that the check valve (the horizontal gizmo with the cap on the end by the spa jets label) needs to be cleaned or rebuilt.

Unscrew the cap and check for debris caught in the valve. No debris? Check the spring, it may be bound or corroded. You can still get parts for them (it's an "Ortega" check valve).

Thanks guys. It was the valve. Spring was completely corroded and flimsy, and seat inside was dirty, and mangled. New parts already on order.

Much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.