where is the pipe?

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
so i'm digging my skimmer line out since i suspect there is a leak there. while i'm there i want to see if i can restore a dead return that is plugged right next to a skimmer (see the pic).

the return is 20" to the left of the skimmer. skimmer like goes out away from the pool and turns 90 degree to the left and goes straight to the pump parallel to the edge of the concrete deck.

i was thinking the dead return line would run in a similar fashion - cross the deck and then a turn toward the pump. so i expect it to be somewhere under the skimmer line 20" left from where the skimmer line turns (see second and third pic). the area is kinda PIA to dig, so want to ask the forum is this would be a typical plumbing layout - cross the deck first and then turn as needed. i don't want to do a lot of digging if it's very unlikely to be there. as far as i know i might just run under the concrete all the way to the pump.

Attachments

• IMGP0608.JPG
    IMGP0608.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGP0607.JPG
    IMGP0607.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGP0605.JPG
    IMGP0605.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 85
Most likely the dead return line is between the skimmer line and the pool. From the pic it looks like it is under the concrete. The installer would want to dig one trench for both lines and do a flat turn for both to enter the trench. It's unlikely one line would be under the other. The only way to be sure is to dig. I would try dig under the concrete parallel to the skimmer line and see if you can locate the dead return.

It is very common to run the lines fairly close to the pool, in the area already dug out when setting the walls, for some distance before turning off to head to the equipment pad. Running outside the deck is only commonly done when renovating or performing repairs. That suggests that your skimmer was replaced or repaired at some point. Is that interpretation consistent with what you know of the pools history?

Of course, anything is possible.

unfortunately i don't really know the pool history. from what i can see it appears that majority of the plumbing has been replaced. the piece of concrete i lifted up suggests that skimmer like has been replaced.

first picture show 2 capped pipes that run parallel to existing returns. second picture that i took today while digging the skimmer line showed another line going over main drain and existing skimmer line -that one is a complete puzzle to me - it doesn't line up with anything.

so it sounds that it's unlikely that i will discover the line coming from the dead return right next to the end of the concrete... my plan right now is to check the areas around the open skimmer line after pump is off for a while for wet spot. does that sound like a good plan? the line runs shallow almost above the water level, so i'm afraid the leak is not there. if it doesn't show, i will dig the area under concrete patch next to skimmer. the line runs deep there so if it leaks it's more likely there...

Attachments

• IMGP0601.JPG
    IMGP0601.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01058.JPG
    DSC01058.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 72
stev32k, i missed your first response. so it sounds like the line would turn left before exiting the deck. when you said dig under the concrete you meant from the area that i opened when i lifted up that piece of concrete? it's about 12" away from the edge, so it would be very difficult digging. and even if i find it there, cutting it and starting a new line from there would be even more difficult.

that line leaks the water pretty bad, i assume that was the reason it was capped. so i thought i would cut in and start a new one. we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.