solar panels on 2nd story roof?

Aug 10, 2012
Normal, IL
I am looking to get a 15x26 or 15x30 pool. My yard has a lot of shade so I will need solar panels to get good water temps. But the only place that gets sun for most of the day is on the 2 story roof. Ballpark numbers wold be 15ft to house 20ft to 24ft up to the roof.
Would I need to get a bigger pump or will there be any problems I will run into?

I was looking to use a sand filter.

Is this an in ground or above ground pool? I do not think above ground pumps would be capable of running solar up there.

More details about plumbing distance and sizes. Number of suction lines, number of returns, etc would help estimate the required pump size.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

It is going to be a above ground pool.
I am just starting to research what I want / need.

2 4'x20' solar panels will be the only extra thing that I plan on adding.
1 suction and 1 return. I think I will go with 2in for the filter but for the solar would I be better off going with a smaller size vs a larger size.
all the filter plumbing will be rite next to the pool so that part will be short. Plumbing to the solar will be about 15ft horizontal to the house and 24ft straight up to the roof then 4ft over to the solar panels.

Would it be better to have the solar set up as a stand alone system with is own pump, intake, and return.

any suggestions are welcome
thank you

A good pump will get water up to the correct height just fine....the height really makes little difference.

What does make a difference is the extra resistance your system will have as the pump pushes the water through all the solar panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.