Solar for Pool Pump?

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Last year when we where building the pool, I called the local solar companies and they said it would cost about $40,000 to install solar panels to run my pool pump. In my area, we have on a good day only 80% production period during the day. I don't have much roof space left due to the passive pool solar heater. Anyone spent time researching or better using a pump that is powered by solar?

They do make solar pool pump packages which are a DC pump with solar panels. These are generally less powerful than AC pumps but are also much less expensive than panels that go on the grid. Here is an example of one. The downside is that you have to replace the pump although with a check valve, you add this pump in parallel to your current pump and use either one. Google "solar pool pumps" to find more.

At least they are coming down in price. My real life work (in semiconductor industry) has been engaged in producing equipment for the solar market. I am praying they do to the solar market as they did to the computer chip market. (Make them stronger and cheaper...)

I noticed the company is a German based company. Heard solar is really big in Europe. More research is in order but this is getting good. Maybe I can talk the wife into on in a few years once we build a log of expenses with the AC unit. I like the idea of connecting them inline with a AC pump. Can have best of both.

In a few years they might have one big enough to push water up to my water solar panels... It would save during the heat of the summer since I won't be using the water solar heaters as much.

I have a 10kw solar array on my roof that generates about 12,000 kwh per year. After state rebates the system cost me about $18,000 out of pocket 3.5 years ago. At the end of the year it will have paid for itself between electric savings and the SRECs I collect from selling the environmental benefits on the open market.

Just finished a RoI on installing a Lorentz system inline with my current 2hp pump. It will take 7 to 8 years to breakeven. Granted, with fuel prices on the rise this is reduced. I don't think the fuel prices will continue to rise for another year. I am betting after the election, the prices will drop in half. The break even point is getting closer but not there yet. The pump has a warrenty of only 2 years, so I might get 3 say 4 years out of it. If I have to replace the pump or any other items, this will move the break even point further back. I would concider the system if the break even point is 4 years or less. (2 years would be a no brainer)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.