Automatic Solar Controller (Goldline GL-235)

May 10, 2008
Illinois
Hi guys....
New to this site and so glad I found it. I wondered what had happened to everyone over on the other BBB site.
Anway, this year I took the plunge and bought a GL-235 Goldline solar controller package, and thought I would give a quick review.

I have wanted one of these since installing my solar panels but the $250.00+ price tag was always a little more than I wanted to spend. Well this year I finally decided it was time to give it a shot and after two weeks of having it installled I'm not sorry for making the purchase.

First of all the item was easy to install and only took a couple of hours from start to finish. This included wiring the panel, setting up the actuator valve and cutting in the plumbing. My system has Schedule 40 PVC piping and the plumbing will go MUCH faster if you happen to be using hose, instead.

After getting the unit installed I was all ready to test it out. The only problem is that we have been having VERY cool temperatures and lots of rain. I simply was not getting enough solar energy (or warm air temps) to activate the controlller. Well I finally climbed a ladder with a hand held hair dryer and heated up the solar sensor. Immediately the actuator valve did it's thing and sent water through the panels.

Now what I love more than anything is that the controller works when I wouldn't normally run solar. The system senses the pool water and compares it to the solar panel temperatures and turns on when it "sees" a need.

Normally I would set my timer to come on at 11:00 A.M. and run until 7:00 P.M.. Simply from using my visual assessment of our pool site this seemed to be a time period in which solar energy would be gathered.

Well after installation I closely monitored the system and noticed that it was turning on at 9:30 A.M. (on a bright, sunny day) and not shutting off until 7:45 P.M.. I've also noticed that it will even run on cloudy days if the air temp is higher and there is some diffused sunlight coming through the clouds. In three days time I went from 62 degrees to 70 degrees and this is with nights getting down into the 30's and 40's.

All in all it is very convienent and I don't feel the need to check the weather forecast and make a decision on whether or not to run the water through the solar panels. The system makes this decision for me and only runs when it needs to.

Overall I would recommend this product if you feel that you have $250.00 or so to spend. It's probably never going to pay for itself but it is nice knowing that the system is ready to work whether I made the decision to run solar or not.

I'd say there is no doubt that this system will make my solar heaters much more effiecient since there have been many days in the past that I've chose not to run solar (if there was a prediction of rain or cloudiness), and then the day turned out to be fairly nice. At least with this system it will run if energy is avaiable and not run if it's not.

Anway, hope this helps someone else out.

Happy swimming.
Dave

[Edit:jjparrish - To add paragraph breaks]

Yes, $250.00 (shipping included)

I found the controller package on ....ummmm....that well known auction site (not sure that web sites are allowed on here). It was from a brick and motor solar energy store in New Jersey. This package included the GL-235 controller, three way valve, actuator, solar and pool sensors and 4 snap switches for freeze protection.

All in all I'm really happy with the purchase. There were a couple of other packages that were less expensive but this seller had a very high rating and I had the item within two days time.

I've seen them online, at other sites, for anywhere from $299.00 to $399.00 for the same package (without the snap switches) so I'm fairly certain that I got a pretty good deal. The item was brand new and still carries the full warranty as well.
Thanks for the reply.
Dave

I purchased the GoldLine AquaSolar system with the time controller (AQ-SOL-LV-TC) for $259.95 from these guys:

Pool Supply Pros

I was a bit nervous when I placed the order because the pricing was so low. However, I did spend the time up-front to research the company and look for complaint, etc. and wasn't able to find anything.

About a week later I received my controller and it's currently installed and working great. I chose the AquaSolar over the GL-235 because it provide quite a bit of additional control, including a relay to turn the pump on/off. I currently have 10K sensors for the pool and for the collector and space for a third sensor for the ambient temperature. I picked up a GoldLine actuator off of eBay for $65.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.