Been going at it a week and had a few ?s

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Thanks to everyone in this forum.
I'm still trying to get my water balanced.
I'm trying to algae shock today - as I can test the water every few hours and ensure the chlorine is at the right level.

1) My plumbling is such that the water comes from the pool and gets split to the filter and then the auto vacuum. I just cleaned the filter thoroughly. My vacuum tends to get stuck on the drain cover (I have 2). Both drain covers were changed to the new type last year when I bought the house (it's a little high looking vs. the one I saw at the pool store). The installer adjusted the bobber and weight so that the front wheels have more weight - which has helped reduce the frequency of becoming stuck. However, I have to direct quite a bit of water to the vacuum to ensure it doesn't get stuck. If I direct all the water fo the filter, it reads 8-9 lbs. If I direct some of the water fo the vacuum the gauge only reads 1 or 2 lbs. Is that normal?
- Is the pool getting enough circulation if I run the pump ~4-5 hours a day in summer with the vacuum always on?
- Or, should I be turning off the vacuum and only running it a couple times a week during the course of the cycle? (I don't have a lot of plant material that gets in the pool)

2) CH is 250 - ran test 3x. I understand the range and all. But if the variance from the test results is +-10% after 10 drops: should'nt we be targeting at least 280 to ensure we're at least at 250?

Thanks, again to everyone. I really appreciate this forum.

Actually, I think I have a pressure side - as it's a Pentair Legend II. So the thing is, the water comes from the pool and gets split after the pump - betwteen the filter and the vacuum (in a T). There is a valve at the T and I can modulate the water flow to either. I have been told that the plumbling should have been set so that the water flowed all to the filter, then get split between going back to the pool and then to the vacuum. And I've been told that my arrangement was considered the reference design by Jandy for some reason. It seems relatively inefficient of a layout and want to change it later.
Does that make sense?
Also, I cleaned my filter thoroughly a week ago. The gauge read 8-9lbs w/ all water directed to it. Today, it reads 16 1/2 lbs. That seems odd to me? Nothing has gotten into the water as far as I know since I have little plant material around.
- Does it take a week or so for the filter to settle into the starting reading?
I am loathe to open it up once again....
Thanks.

Well, that arrangment is a bit screwy but it sounds like it's working.

1. The only way to tell if you are running the pump enouigh is if your water is staying clean. If it's not, you need to increase the pump run time.

2. With that setup, I would filter the water for a while and then (mostly) vac for a while and think of it as two seperate operations.

3. Your CH is fine

4. It sounds to me like your filter is catching the dead algae you are killing by the shock process. You have really no choice but to clean your filter. It is/was doing it's job but will quit doing it if you don't clean out the debris it has collected. You should clean it each time your psi increases by 25% or more....you are way past due.

OK, cool. Thanks for the response. I agree that the arrangement seems odd - I have no clue why someone would plumb it that way - seems totally unituitive.
The thing is - I had had algae growing on the sides - I thought it was mustard - there wasn't much after I took over from the pool man - since I made sure to chlorinate and brush every day. Then I decided to drain and refill and did that last week; at that point I cleaned the filters which looked pretty bad.
So since I refilled and then had cleaned the filters, I have no idea why the pressure would have risen that much?
Should I just open it up to take a look anyway?
I'm obsessed with dialing in my pool right.
BTW, everyone should get the stirrer - it's awesome.
Thanks.

Update: so I just checked the pressure and it's back to 8-9lbs. I think when I direct the water to the filter I need to wait a while for it to settle before I read the gauge. Still seems a little weird.
Cool - I'll keep CH at 250 for now then and monitor.
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.