Total Alkalinity

aquawife

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
What should my TA be for a non swg pool? The card that came with my test kit says between 100 and 120, and Pool School says 70-90. I had been following the card, since I see it every day but just noticed the difference while I was reviewing pool school following my third AA treatment (yes, when you let the pH drift to 7.5 the stains come back). Also, can you leave your pH between 7 and 7.2 indefinitely?? Lastly, I read on "Pool Forum" about filters you make with socks and quilt batting and attach to your returns to actually remove the metals from your water...does anyone know if this actually works?? I live in fear of needing to shock and starting the whole process all over again....
Thanks - Michelle
FC 4
CC 0
TA 100
CH 0
CYA 55

The numbers on the card make sense of you use pucks which are acidic. Using bleach, you would be better off lowering the TA so that the pH does not rise as fast.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

filters you make with socks and quilt batting and attach to your returns to actually remove the metals from your water...does anyone know if this actually works??
Possibly, but the only way you would know is to get your pH high enough for the metals to come out of suspension so they can stick to the filters. In doing so, the metal may just as well stick to your pool surfaces (staining) rather than getting caught in the "filter"

For that matter, your pool filter can catch the metal once it precipitates but it is a crapshoot whether it will precipitate into particles you can entrap or simply re-stain your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.