Unsealed/damaged cap on new muriatic acid bottle, OK to use?

dblko

Jun 20, 2012
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Bought a new carton box containing 2 1-gallon bottles of muriatic acid from the local pool store, in order to keep the PH of my in-ground saltwater pool in check. Usually, theses bottles are sealed by a metallic cap under the screw-on-lid, and the cap is normally not easy to remove.

This time however, after unscrewing the top lid, I found the seal already loose and somewhat corroded looking.

Is this still OK to use? Don't feel comfortable putting something into the pool that possible already has tampered been with. Or is that normal, if maybe the bottle has been sitting for a long time on the shelf. Now I remember that the tape on the carton box also did look as it had been opened before.

What to do, any thoughts....?

Thanks

Re: Unsealed/damaged cap on new muriatic acid bottle, OK to

I have had a few bottles like that also ... did not notice any ill-effects.

Not really sure what someone could do to "tamper" with 31% muriatic acid.

Guessing someone bought it found the seal broken, returned it and the store taped it back up for someone less picky.

Re: Unsealed/damaged cap on new muriatic acid bottle, OK to

Thanks for the quick reply.

One thing to mention is that I also checked the second bottle and it has the same issue with the unsealed lid. I just need to add relatively small amounts of acid to the pool and have the bottles currently stored outside next to the pool pumps and machines.

Keeping now two unsealed bottles around, would this be an issue regarding the potential hazard and corrosion from outgassing?

Maybe should still try to return them, if the shop is actually going to take it back?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.