Hayward Pump leaking when pump is off

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys. MY pump leaks when I turn it off. Right around the circular cap that goes over the basket. Ive had this issue before and found the problem was because I didnt put the cap on flush. This time, I made sure when I reset the cap I put it on carefully and twisted it on pretty tight. The O ring is not damaged and it is sitting where it should be. What could my problem be ? Is it possible I am over tightening the cap? CAN you over tighten the basket cap and cause a leak ?
This is my pump http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S- ... B00212NNU4

What do you mean by leaking?

Does it just spurt out some water right when you turn the pump off? Or does it continually leak water while the pump is off?

My Hayward RS pump would always squirt water when I shut it down, but it never leaked after that or sucked any air in while running.

It is not seated properly. When you turn it on, the suction of the pump pulls the lid down and gives you a proper seal. Pump off, there is no suction on the lid so, because it is not seated correctly, it leaks.

ty. Yes I know its not seated correctly but I'm not sure what i could be doing wrong. I turn the pump completely off and make sure no water is in the way prior to applying the lid. It really only goes on one way that enables you to turn it. Im thinking that maybe I turn it too tight ? Shouldn't I be turning it as tight as it can go ?
The O ring/rubber washer is seated properly---not sure what else it could be.

Same problem here with my Pentair pump/bowl. I see air when running, I put my ear on the lid and hear air "fizzing", and see a small bubble run to the center about every 5 minutes. But I see no water dripping anywhere when off. So mine sounds like a much smaller leak that yours. Run your finger over all the seal surfaces to feel for any slight imperfections. Could you have cracked something? I have no clue what to do either. Just hope my pump doesn't burn itself out priming itself daily.

I don't know if this will help but on most pumps, that O-ring is self sealing and virtually no pressure has to be used when tightening the plastic lid on.

Mine require about a 1/4 turn and I leave it as loose as possible....just enough to hold everything in place. When the pump comes on, the vacuum it produces is enough to make the seal and, even if I unscrew the lid, I cannot get it off.

Somewhere either on one of the two surfaces that mate or on the O-ring is a gap that is allowing air in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.